2 Stroke Some work on the RMX

Been a while since I have done this, but the bike did get a pull down with a lube job to the steering head, wheel and rear linkage bearings. Then the unplanned top end rebuild due to what I see as an engineering fault, now corrected by some of my mods to the power valve - Piccies included

RMX on eBay 010111 14.jpg
The ole girl is going again, now fitted with fork gaiters​
RMX 100111 01.JPG
Think that's enough grease :lol:
RMX 100111 02.JPG
General Maintenance​
RMX Broken Power Valeve 01.JPG
The Culprit = :foul:
RMX 280611.JPG
Top End tear down to fix power valve​

James

Staff member
This is something I still have to do this spring before the season gets underway. :bonk:

Did you also grease the linkage?

Been a while since I have done this, but the bike did get a pull down with a lube job to the steering head, wheel and rear linkage bearings. Then the unplanned top end rebuild due to what I see as an engineering fault, now corrected by some of my mods to the power valve - Piccies included
This is something I still have to do this spring before the season gets underway. :bonk:

Did you also grease the linkage?

When I seen the bike up for sale I just had to grab it, the bike is in goon condition, with the FMF pipe and silencer, RM250 carb, porting along with Vforce reeds I couldn't resist, goes like hell, but chews fuel like nothing else, now I'm not worried about paying for the fuel, just where I ride you need to keep in mind where a service gas station is :thumb: or instead of this :ride: you could be doing this :foul::banghead:

For an old bike it still handles well, I've modified a power valve so it wont break, along with some other stuff. They were an awesome bike in there time. Still some more stuff to do, the bump stop rubber is gone on the rear shock, so that will be next, not sure if I should do a rebuild on the shock or do the trick purchasing a bump stop rubber and applying a strong rubber glue, kinda sounds cheap hey, might as well do the rebuild/regas.

A :wink:

When I seen the bike up for sale I just had to grab it, the bike is in goon condition, with the FMX pipe and silencer, RM250 carb, porting along with Vforce reeds I couldn't resist, goes like hell, but chews fuel like nothing else, now I'm not worried about paying for the fuel, just where I ride you need to keep in mind where a service gas station is :thumb: or instead of this :ride: you could be doing this :foul::banghead:

For an old bike it still handles well, I've modified a power valve so it wont break, along with some other stuff. They were an awesome bike in there time. Still some more stuff to do, the bump stop rubber is gone on the rear shock, so that will be next, not sure if I should do a rebuild on the shock or do the trick purchasing a bump stop rubber and applying a strong rubber glue, kinda sounds cheap hey, might as well do the rebuild/regas.

A :wink:

I'd do the rebuild :thumb: might as well, if the bump stop fell off the shock is probably ancient anyways.

wow those springs arent in very good condition :shocked:

No them springs suppose to be in one piece, for such a well engineered bike they certainly went to sleep in the power valve department, especially with the reputation of the older RMX's breaking power valves, looks like a very half assed attempt to fix a problem that failed miserably.

There is no need for the spring with the mod I done, one bonus with my mod, if the valve fails it will never hit the piston which can then sometimes damage the bore, bad thing is it now has a RM type power band that hits harder, so just have to be careful doing hill stuff, although the stuff I've done has been OK.

I was lucky, when the valve went it did clip the piston which knocked the valve back into the slide and was only running slow when it went, so instantly stopped the engine. Even thought the piston wasn't badly damaged I replaced all the top end parts and checked the bore which thankfully was in great condition.

Just wish Suzuki paid more attention to that fault, wouldn't be good if you were fare away from nowhere and the bike croaked it.

No them springs suppose to be in one piece, for such a well engineered bike they certainly went to sleep in the power valve department, especially with the reputation of the older RMX's breaking power valves, looks like a very half assed attempt to fix a problem that failed miserably.

There is no need for the spring with the mod I done, one bonus with my mod, if the valve fails it will never hit the piston which can then sometimes damage the bore, bad thing is it now has a RM type power band that hits harder, so just have to be careful doing hill stuff, although the stuff I've done has been OK.

I was lucky, when the valve went it did clip the piston which knocked the valve back into the slide and was only running slow when it went, so instantly stopped the engine. Even thought the piston wasn't badly damaged I replaced all the top end parts and checked the bore which thankfully was in great condition.

Just wish Suzuki paid more attention to that fault, wouldn't be good if you were fare away from nowhere and the bike croaked it.

We bought a TRASHED cr125 with the top end off, but still had the power valve assembled. Had to take the pv all apart to get it plated when we went to put it back together we realized the shaft (not sure if that's the "proper" term for that) was bent! It didn't operate smoothly, so my dad took sand paper to it and finally got it operating correctly. I just have no clue how it got bent :noidea:

We bought a TRASHED cr125 with the top end off, but still had the power valve assembled. Had to take the pv all apart to get it plated when we went to put it back together we realized the shaft (not sure if that's the "proper" term for that) was bent! It didn't operate smoothly, so my dad took sand paper to it and finally got it operating correctly. I just have no clue how it got bent :noidea:

Yeah that is different, have to see an exploded view of the cylinder and P.V to give me a clue:thinking: . I've worked on dirt bikes for years, some of the things you see, worst thing that usually happens you get an engine and gearbox in pieces and a "I pulled my engine apart but don't know what's wrong with it or how to put it together":foul::banghead: even worse when you find out how they have pulled the flywheel off:bonk: , had the occasional broken magnets etc from not using a puller etc. Makes you wonder if the P.V got jammed with carbon and someone decided to butcher it to get it out, like I said though, I'd have to see how it all sits in there.