Solid State Drives (SSD)?

While reliability as in shockproof for an ssd is good, they're not sposed to last very long yet, I've read 3-4 years before dying(something like 100's of thousands of read/write cycles v. HDD's millions and millions...). The trade off is obviously being very fast.
I heard the exact opposite. :confused: Ssd have been used by heavily used multimedia devices (ex. Ipod) for years and work day in and day out.

James

Staff member
That's a bit newer than what I'm running now. I bought before Ivy Bridge came out so I have a i5-2500k and a Z68 mobo. I also have 8G and 120G. I was amazed at just how much faster this setup is than any other desktop computer I've used. My work system sucks in comparison.

I think you will like how it preforms.
Oh I know that this will be better, my old system is a Core 2 Duo. :lol: :facepalm:

I'm just dreading having to reinstall everything. :bonk:

James

Staff member
Forgot that I still had an old IDE CD/DVD drive and the new motherboard is SATA only. :bonk: Also waiting on the 2.5 to 3.5 mounting bracket to arrive, you can see the quick fix I did. :lol: Plus need to get a better CPU cooler/heatsink.

After I get everything settled I'll probably remove two of those hard drives.

pc.jpg

Overclock it to 4.4 GHz and she hums. :lol: :rocker: That SSD was a good call. :thumb:

When I did my upgrade I carefully bought 2.5 to 3.5 adapters only to find that they were included with the SSD that I got. :banghead:

So far I've not bothered to overclock. There just hasn't been an application where I felt that I needed it. I've got some video to edit and transcode though. I have a feeling that I'll be overclocking then.

James

Staff member
When I did my upgrade I carefully bought 2.5 to 3.5 adapters only to find that they were included with the SSD that I got. :banghead:

So far I've not bothered to overclock. There just hasn't been an application where I felt that I needed it. I've got some video to edit and transcode though. I have a feeling that I'll be overclocking then.
Yeah I tend to not overclock stuff as I prefer stability over performance.

New CPU fan/heatsink and a couple new case fans have been ordered. :thumb:

90bfbcea_htf_imgcache_4800.jpeg