250 Smokey '99 KX250 (more than usual)

Rode a couple of weekends back and it rode pretty well. Recently did a top and bottom end prior to that ride and wanted to start the jetting process after getting a few hrs. on the motor (the bike is relatively new to me and has had a bog). A couple of days ago I set the float height to the recommended 6.5mm +/- 1 mm. The bike fired up and ran no problem.
The issue that came up is it now smokes A LOT more. It smokes a little from idle and more beyond idle. When I grab some throttle and let off, a plume of smoke rolls out the silencer and takes a second to calm down.
I've since been into the carb a few more times verifying the float level, I dropped the pilot 1 size, put it back and lowered the float level 2mm all in an attempt to see what's up.
I can't find any debris in the carb. The jets are all new. On the Float needle I can barely see the area the needle has been contacting the seat but there is no ridge at all.
The trans. doesn't seem to be using any oil and the coolant level has not dropped at all.

Heres a quick vid I took this morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Da1oQaw9Bg

Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated as I'm at a loss.

Rode a couple of weekends back and it rode pretty well. Recently did a top and bottom end prior to that ride and wanted to start the jetting process after getting a few hrs. on the motor (the bike is relatively new to me and has had a bog). A couple of days ago I set the float height to the recommended 6.5mm +/- 1 mm. The bike fired up and ran no problem.
The issue that came up is it now smokes A LOT more. It smokes a little from idle and more beyond idle. When I grab some throttle and let off, a plume of smoke rolls out the silencer and takes a second to calm down.
I've since been into the carb a few more times verifying the float level, I dropped the pilot 1 size, put it back and lowered the float level 2mm all in an attempt to see what's up.
I can't find any debris in the carb. The jets are all new. On the Float needle I can barely see the area the needle has been contacting the seat but there is no ridge at all.
The trans. doesn't seem to be using any oil and the coolant level has not dropped at all.

Looks fine :)

how does the smoke smell? Does it smell like premix or does it have and stinking dino oil smell? I am just saying it could have a leaking crank seal and your tranny oil is getting sucked into the crank case. Have you checked you pipe to make sure there is no excessive build up of premix?

I just rebuilt my RM125... thats normal, when you go up into the higher rpm's it creates more emissions, and because the RPM's are dropping the positive pressure in the expansion chamber is dropping also which slows the rate that your bike can push the exhaust smoke out at, hence the small puff you get on deceleration.

If you are TRULY that worried about it, go ride your bike normally for a few hours, and let it cool down, and read your plug, if you are rich it will either foul or be completely black, imo what you are looking is good jetting not perfect jetting, meaning the tip of the electrode is black, and its a deep brown color near the bottom, bottom meaning all the way in the plug of course.

I probably have 12 hrs. on the silencer packing. I figured it would last longer but it was running a little fat prior to the top end so it could be ready to be re-packed. I'll take a look at that.

I had ordered up a new float needle as a "just in case" when this started and it showed yesterday. Threw it in last night, set the float height, re-installed , and now it is dumping out the overflow as soon as I open the petcock. :lol: That was at 11 last night so I called it at that point. I'll get back into the carb tonight or tomorrow and see what's up

I probably have 12 hrs. on the silencer packing. I figured it would last longer but it was running a little fat prior to the top end so it could be ready to be re-packed. I'll take a look at that.

I had ordered up a new float needle as a "just in case" when this started and it showed yesterday. Threw it in last night, set the float height, re-installed , and now it is dumping out the overflow as soon as I open the petcock. :lol: That was at 11 last night so I called it at that point. I'll get back into the carb tonight or tomorrow and see what's up

probably got a little piece of grit in your fuel inlet area, take the fuel line off, drain your bowl, and blow a little compressed air through the inlet, and reattach the fuel line :thumb:

Pulled the carb again and cleaned it out. Found a couple of small pieces of debris. Tossed it back on and no fuel out the overflow. :banana: So back to where this thread started. :lol:

Re-packed the silencer (didn't look to need it) put it back together and the smoke was better but still there. Buzzed around the corner from my place and ripped through the gears a few times and the smoke has cleared up. :noidea: