SMJ

Since by the letter of the law you can't plate that bike, I would not spend anything on things like wheels until after you get the plate. You might slip by and get a plate but it would really suck to spend $2k and not get a plate. Street reg first and goodies later.

I would get the lighting coil that you can get from Ricky stator. It's not very powerful, but since you must have a headlight on the street it's pretty much required. It will run a 35watt headlight and tail/signals.

A KX with the more or less MX style transmission will need to be geared out to go high speeds at reasonable revs.
good advise about doing title first before dropping a dime on it.

www.supermotojunkie.com is a really good Supermoto site.

good advise about doing title first before dropping a dime on it.

www.supermotojunkie.com is a really good Supermoto site.

It is a good site. Filled with young pumped up guys who hash on the city streets and canyons. Yep, I went on ONE of their rides. ONE! Then I mentioned someone is going to die after I went on that ride. I got shit for it. Then two weeks later it happened. A young 20 something guy and his Father crashed head on with a Suburban on Topanga Cyn., Son died Father lost his leg. They had traveled from up North to come ride the beautiful canyons of Malibu. They probably thought it was going to be a fun day of riding and sightseeeing. But led by a pack of pumped up guys who know the canyons well, there was zero sight seeing. It was just enough for them to keep up with the group. Tragic! And after this, a guy said in the forum we should have a "A" group and a "B" group next time. Not even a second thought to the fact they were in race mode, pack style riding in canyons filled with homes and driveways. That kind of pack racing needs to stay on the track. I know I shouldnt talk as I tend to ride too fast in the canyons too but, 3 went down on the first half of that ride. I think they started with 20 something riders. They ended up in 3 groups and the guy who started the ride was bailed on! Thoughtless! Nobody looking out for anyone. A good source for SM info but, I'll stick with small group rides with people I know a little better. That was just my experience. Im sure there ARE some good people over there.

That sucks Sun.... I hate D-bags like that.

I think you get a pack of young guns together that have spent a couple of weeks planning a ride and getting pumped up for it, by the time they get together they are really PUMPED UP and ready to FLY! I felt it, I felt the need to keep up and prove myself on that ride. You can feel the energy level when riding in a pack, and it IS fun, but by the end of that ride I told myself I was going to get hurt if I kept going on rides like that. I usually ride street alone or with a friend or two. That is about it. I felt bad for the guy who planned the ride, they staged at his house and he was left behind!

I think you get a pack of young guns together that have spent a couple of weeks planning a ride and getting pumped up for it, by the time they get together they are really PUMPED UP and ready to FLY! I felt it, I felt the need to keep up and prove myself on that ride. You can feel the energy level when riding in a pack, and it IS fun, but by the end of that ride I told myself I was going to get hurt if I kept going on rides like that. I usually ride street alone or with a friend or two. That is about it. I felt bad for the guy who planned the ride, they staged at his house and he was left behind!
That is what i like about my group of street riders. The most experinced and best street rider is on a klr650 :smirk: and the newest guy is on a bandit 1200 and we have about everything inbetween besides crusiers. So we all take it fairly slow most the time and just get a little adventurous in the curves then regroup right after

It is a good site. Filled with young pumped up guys who hash on the city streets and canyons. Yep, I went on ONE of their rides. ONE! Then I mentioned someone is going to die after I went on that ride. I got shit for it. Then two weeks later it happened. A young 20 something guy and his Father crashed head on with a Suburban on Topanga Cyn., Son died Father lost his leg. They had traveled from up North to come ride the beautiful canyons of Malibu. They probably thought it was going to be a fun day of riding and sightseeeing. But led by a pack of pumped up guys who know the canyons well, there was zero sight seeing. It was just enough for them to keep up with the group. Tragic! And after this, a guy said in the forum we should have a "A" group and a "B" group next time. Not even a second thought to the fact they were in race mode, pack style riding in canyons filled with homes and driveways. That kind of pack racing needs to stay on the track. I know I shouldnt talk as I tend to ride too fast in the canyons too but, 3 went down on the first half of that ride. I think they started with 20 something riders. They ended up in 3 groups and the guy who started the ride was bailed on! Thoughtless! Nobody looking out for anyone. A good source for SM info but, I'll stick with small group rides with people I know a little better. That was just my experience. Im sure there ARE some good people over there.
wow that really sucks and thank you for posting your feelings about the ride.... have not made one of the SMJ NC rides yet but plan to and I do not plan on racing the streets like you describe.

I was a moderator on SMJ at one time.....

Sad to say you are right.....a South Carolina Marine SMJ member met his maker at the SMJ Tail of the Dragon ride 2 weeks ago.

Sad to say you are right.....a South Carolina Marine SMJ member met his maker at the SMJ Tail of the Dragon ride 2 weeks ago.

I dont dislike the site as much as some of the guys and their attitudes about riding and while riding. Your a pussy if you ride slow or dont keep up etc...
That is very sad to hear. And a Marine! That even makes me sadder:cry: God speed Supermoto Marine.

I dont dislike the site as much as some of the guys and their attitudes about riding and while riding. Your a pussy if you ride slow or dont keep up etc...
That is very sad to hear. And a Marine! That even makes me sadder:cry: God speed Supermoto Marine.
That is really really sad. Of course its okay to bust your friends balls about their riding, as well as encourage them to go above and beyond but its wrong to push people into doing what they can't.

That is really really sad. Of course its okay to bust your friends balls about their riding, as well as encourage them to go above and beyond but its wrong to push people into doing what they can't.
I dont know how much of it is pushing or just getting caught up in the engery or, just trying to keep up with the group.
What I saw was internet rides planned that ended up be all different skill levels and personalities coming together from all over, riding in somewhat populated canyons that some of the riders are really familiar with and others arnt and they are just trying to keep up. That combination alone increases odds. I think Supermoto attracts a younger "hooliganish" personality/riding style. It is easy to feel hopped up on these bikes, even if your an old lady:devil::lol:
Then put a lsrge group of young guys together on SM's and it is testosterone combustion :hyper: :loco::crash:

Its different on the street ray. If someone completely sucks on the street i tell them they will just get better with more ride time. On dirt i tell them stop being a pussy and hit that double. Because if they case a small(ish) double it will just be funny, if they hit an on-
comeing car there death in on my hands..............

Its different on the street ray. If someone completely sucks on the street i tell them they will just get better with more ride time. On dirt i tell them stop being a pussy and hit that double. Because if they case a small(ish) double it will just be funny, if they hit an on-
comeing car there death in on my hands..............
ready for that finish line jump yet pussy :thinking:

:smirk: But even in the dirt community its like that.