Seat Hopping

Is seat hopping a jump a hard thing to learn. I wanted to try this technique but i am afraid of standing up to late and being bucked over my bars:crash:. i need to learn it though for those hard to clear jumps.

James

Staff member
This is generally referred to as seat "bouncing" and yes it's considered to be more of an advance technique. The basics are to stand up just as you leave the lip, however it's not quite that simple. :lol:

Just go try it a few times and let us know what happened. :smirk:

really james? its one of the first things i was taught when i started riding track.

granted i got lucky and met a ex pro and she taught me a few of what i thought was the basics. I was trying a step up type jump and having problems. she said lets go try this one jump over and over. It was not a big jump but it was right out of a corner so it was hard for me to get speed to clear it. Apparently thats the best use of a seat bounce. when there is a jump real close to the berm. Took me a good hour or so to finally clear the jump using the technique but once it "clicked" that jump became easy.

here is a great how to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1c3ryEDTJA

James

Staff member
really james? its one of the first things i was taught when i started riding track.
:lol: Let me guess, you aren't the fastest in corners? :stirthepot: :smirk: The reason (IMO) seat bouncing is an advance technique, is because you shouldn't need it until you can absolutely rail a corner and not make the jump after it. Seat bouncing before you have you corners skills down is just putting a band-aid on it (again IMO).

I would never mention seat bouncing to somebody, until they have their corners and form down pat. Heck I wouldn't let the last guy I helped take any jumps for a couple days, we worked on corners and form non-stop. He dropped an insane amount of time off his lap times after that.

This is generally referred to as seat "bouncing" and yes it's considered to be more of an advance technique. The basics are to stand up just as you leave the lip, however it's not quite that simple. :lol:

Just go try it a few times and let us know what happened. :smirk:

It's not too hard to learn, I do it when I come out of a tight inside line turn and into a bigger double or something.

1) Line your bike up and squeeze with your legs, sitting down already lessens your control, so by not correctly lining up your bike to the face of the jump can cause you to take off in a funny mannor that ends not funny

2) Find a correct gear that supplies plenty of tourque, speed won't do much, its all about tourque and lift

3) let off your clutch and quickly roll on the throttle. Don't mess around or wait, you need every foot of distance you can get

4) sit into the mid/back of your seat, gas it all they way off the jump and don't let off or move front or rearward on the seat.

5) when in air, stand up, and loosen up, be hard on the gas on the landing to correct any slop in the take off

I'll upload a video for refrence :prof:

:lol: Let me guess, you aren't the fastest in corners? :stirthepot: :smirk: The reason (IMO) seat bouncing is an advance technique, is because you shouldn't need it until you can absolutely rail a corner and not make the jump after it. Seat bouncing before you have you corners skills down is just putting a band-aid on it (again IMO).

I would never mention seat bouncing to somebody, until they have their corners and form down pat. Heck I wouldn't let the last guy I helped take any jumps for a couple days, we worked on corners and form non-stop. He dropped an insane amount of time off his lap times after that.

she was a pro... you were not. ill take her advice any day. besides this one corner is not a railable corner. Sure i could prolly be faster in that corner but you still need a seat bounce.
:noidea: but it worked for me. I learned it in about 1 hour and now im not scared to try it if its needed.

James

Staff member
she was a pro... you were not. ill take her advice any day. besides this one corner is not a railable corner. Sure i could prolly be faster in that corner but you still need a seat bounce.
:noidea: but it worked for me. I learned it in about 1 hour and now im not scared to try it if its needed.

:thumb: My point exactly.

granted i got lucky and met a ex pro and she taught me a few of what i thought was the basics. I was trying a step up type jump and having problems. she said lets go try this one jump over and over. It was not a big jump but it was right out of a corner so it was hard for me to get speed to clear it. Apparently thats the best use of a seat bounce. when there is a jump real close to the berm. Took me a good hour or so to finally clear the jump using the technique but once it "clicked" that jump became easy.

here is a great how to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1c3ryEDTJA
That video was awesome :lol: The dude is sitting there in a Yamaha MotoGP shirt with a goldfish displaying in the background. I pulled off a seat bounce once and the chair broke out from under me:smirk:

Even in the desert or forest you find yourself doing a seat bounce to get over some obstacles or launching off waterfalls.

:thumb: My point exactly.
no she was a pro teaching someone she knew was not experienced... it worked out better for me in my case.

thats not your point. you can disagree with me all you want, I am just sharing my personal experience as it was only 1 year ago i too was learning these things

Thanks for all the tips. I think i can do it, just gotta try it. I'll hopefully will be able to practice it tomorrow depending on the weather. :ride: