Other RT 180 Rear Wheel Replacement

Hey! New forum member and dirt bike owner/rider.

I am considering purchasing a '98 Yamaha RT 180, but the owner says it needs a new rear wheel. My question is not entirely model-specific, but anything you know about this model that will help is greatly appreciated.

Can I replace the wheel with just any wheel of the same size (swapping the hubs, as I understand it, is required -- is that something I can easily do?), or do I need one that is specific to this model and/or year of bike?

The short version is that I got a TTR125 to ride while at my brother's place in Upstate, NY, and now I want to buy something for him to ride with me. However, I'm only in town for a week, and I arrive there a week from today. So, time is a bit of the essence for me in making a decision, having parts delivered, and doing the work (or having it done if it's more involved than I'm capable).

Thanks!

-- Bri

jsut about any of the small yz's with drum rear breaks will work. the xt's it's and tt's that were 225 cc's and down fit on the rt180 we had, but in most cases it would be wise to get the same brake backing plate with it. the rest is easy.

jsut about any of the small yz's with drum rear breaks will work. the xt's it's and tt's that were 225 cc's and down fit on the rt180 we had, but in most cases it would be wise to get the same brake backing plate with it. the rest is easy.
Thanks a ton for the quick reply! Are the years not important? Is it just about size and spokes?

if you have never spoked an older style rim, don't plan on doing it quickly and have it stay together. the rims fit certain hubs, first thing is spoke count and then angle to look for.

Thanks a ton for the quick reply! Are the years not important? Is it just about size and spokes?

The bikes i mentioned would have all fit ours with the proper backing plate, for instance the xt200 we had would go right on, but was 17 inches as opposed to 18 and had a smaller diameter brake drum, years round from around 74-84 on the drums

The bikes i mentioned would have all fit ours with the proper backing plate, for instance the xt200 we had would go right on, but was 17 inches as opposed to 18 and had a smaller diameter brake drum, years round from around 74-84 on the drums
I am hoping to get something that's already fully assembled, since I am with you in that I can't expect to be successful on my first try. :-) Does your advice regarding which wheels I can use still hold true, if it's fully assembled? Is changing the hubs and/or brake drum complicated?