2 Stroke Rm 85 throttle issues

Hey guys,

I broke my leg a while ago on my 85 because the throttle stuck while I was in third gear and I was caught in an awkward position. The problem I'm having is that the week before this had happened I had brought my bike to the repair shop to look at my throttle being this was a recurring problem. They looked at it and told me there was nothing wrong with it and they just lubed it so unfortunately I took the chances. My throttle only sticks once I a while though. Like every other ride it will stick once. Any advice? Should I bring it to another shop?

Hey guys,

I broke my leg a while ago on my 85 because the throttle stuck while I was in third gear and I was caught in an awkward position. The problem I'm having is that the week before this had happened I had brought my bike to the repair shop to look at my throttle being this was a recurring problem. They looked at it and told me there was nothing wrong with it and they just lubed it so unfortunately I took the chances. My throttle only sticks once I a while though. Like every other ride it will stick once. Any advice? Should I bring it to another shop?

Remove the throttle tube from the handle bar and clean it thoroughly. Then replace the throttle cable with a new one. When you reinstall the throttle tube take great care not to push it too far on as it will bind against the handlebar

Cable routing is covered in the manual. Get one if you don't have one.

Take your carburetor off and remove the slide from the cable. Take out the spring and examine it for kinks and collapsed sections. Put the slide back in without the spring or the needle; with the main jet out take a small Phillips head screwdriver that will fit up the needle jet. Welding rod works even better. A section of coat hanger wire that is completely straight works too. Now use a pencil to push from the cable end of the slide. Work the slide back and forth until you are convinced that it isn't the slide or it is indeed the slide before you ride again. I would quit taking it to a shop altogether. You just saw how "useful" they are. Learn the manual so you are not helpless.