85 Rich or Lean? PWK28

So i got my engine completely rebuilt, bike all put back together. I broke it in and took it for a ride for about half an hour. I had the carburetor settings all at stock, needle on 3rd clip, 1 3/8 turns out on air jet didn't bother with the float height as of yet. But the engine gets really hot, so do the coolant lines, you can only touch them for a split second and than it could probably burn you. Not too sure if it is running lean so i took the needle clip down to the 4th position to richen it up a bit, put a brand new plug in. It seems to be doing the same but this time i took it out for about 45 mins.

The plug on the left is the new plug with needle clip at the 4th position and the plug on the right is the old plug on the stock needle position. Can anyone tell if im running a bit lean or rich?

Attachments

• IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 11
both plugs look just fine. How much oil? What is the ratio?

Im running 32:1 as the manual states, although the oil im using could possibly be the cause. Im using 2 stroke snowmobile oil (in a pinch) picking up the proper oil today i read that people use snowmobile oil all the time in 2 stroke dirt bikes so i used it for the break in period as it was all i had on hand.

Did you bleed the air out of the coolant system? If not then the coolant level may be low now that it has been run. When it is COLD, remove the radiator cap and check the level. The fluid should just cover the top of the tubes inside. If its too low then add some. If its too high it should overflow on its own and purge out the excess when it gets hot. They do get hot tho and you should not be able to leave a bare hand on the metal for more than a second or so.

The plug on the right looks like a br8.

Your right, the plug on the right is a BR8ES, so is the one on the left but it is a BR8ECS. Both plugs work fine, same symptoms with both. I bled the coolant lines and still same effect. The manual says to use a NGK R6252K-105 but they are very hard to come by in my area

For my 2001 kx85

Ok so you should really be running something like a B9rx or a B10rx plug I believe. It's fine that you run a snow mobile oil but would much rather see you run the Kawasaki oil or a yamalube. If you idled the bike for a few minutes with the radiator cap off that would assure the engine is bled and you'll be able to see the coolant flowing. If you run this thing like my kid did which is WOT everywhere on the track then it will be hot. Too hot to touch.

Ok so you should really be running something like a B9rx or a B10rx plug I believe. It's fine that you run a snow mobile oil but would much rather see you run the Kawasaki oil or a yamalube. If you idled the bike for a few minutes with the radiator cap off that would assure the engine is bled and you'll be able to see the coolant flowing. If you run this thing like my kid did which is WOT everywhere on the track then it will be hot. Too hot to touch.

These plugs came with the bike so i just assumed they were compatible. I took the bike out on the trails today for a solid 2 hours. Took about 3 breaks and it seems to run fine other than being a little hot. Doesn't stall out or die, is there a certain plug i should try for trail riding? That is mostly all i do with the occasional wheelies and jumping logs/rocks ect.