Rebuilding Yz 250

Hey guys, ive had my Yz now for about a month and this winter when im not riding i wanna do a new top end on it. I wanna keep it a 250 so just stock piston. What do i need for top end. Piston hesd, rings, wristpin but what about if the jug is all pitted out and stuff? Do i need a new one every time??

SRAD97750

Staff member
Hey guys, ive had my Yz now for about a month and this winter when im not riding i wanna do a new top end on it. I wanna keep it a 250 so just stock piston. What do i need for top end. Piston hesd, rings, wristpin but what about if the jug is all pitted out and stuff? Do i need a new one every time??
You'll be looking for gouges, chipping, or cracking of the nikasil coating typically near the ports edges. Any chipping of the nikasil and it needs a recoat. $200-275.
If the cylinder bore and crank bearings checks out, you'll need a Piston, Rings, Pin, Pin Bearing, Top end gasket set. You should be able to acquire all this for $100-160.
Check the top of the piston for the current size. There may be no marking (standard bore), a zero (standard bore), or a +something (oversized piston). You'll need to buy the same piston as installed. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Ditto...

You can eBay a topend kit for about $150. Each kit is different in what they provide so watch your value. You won't know what piston you need or what condition everything is in until you open up the top end.

If the nikasil is worn thru anywhere you need to replace also....if your unsure, a good test is to take a metal pic and try to scratch surface of cylinder, if you can it's done.