250F Poping on decel

2009 kx250f has high compression top end just rebuilt the carb 42 pilot 182 main 55 leak needle clip on 4th position fuel screw out 2 to 2-1/2 and pops prettt good on decel I was told it’s normal but it seems more than normal to me and the case seems pretty hot after only riding up and town the street… any ideas???

SRAD97750

Staff member
Exhaust leak near the header causes popping on decel on a 4T, might want to start there.
Otherwise, it's an overly rich condition with the throttle closed.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
What's causing the popping?
The popping is hot, unburnt, fuel making it's way to the exhaust and coming in contact with oxygen, which allows it combust in the exhaust pipe.
If there is a leak near the header, even a tiny one, fresh air rushes in on decel, and causes popping much more easily.-BIG DAN:thumb:

How would I check to see if there’s a leak at the header? And fuel screw is out 2 to 2 1/2 should I try turning it in a little? Also has a high compression top end and running 93 octane going to try octane booster and different spark plug as well. I was told these kx250f pop a lot

SRAD97750

Staff member
Some amount of popping could be completely normal.
A leak in the exhaust could be a culprit causing excessive popping. At gaskets or connections.
The popping is caused by extra fuel, which could be completely normal.
-BIG DAN:thumb: