Please help newer rider...

Hey guys...

So I just joined the forum, and I was wondering if some you more experienced riders could help me make a decision. I used to ride when I was a kid, but it has been many years, so last year I decided to try and get back into riding and I bought a 2012 KTM 450 SX F. The bike is a beast, the power and the gearing are quite crazy for a guy who is just trying to get back into riding so I think I bit off more then I could chew as the old saying goes...I am 6'1 230 lbs. so I can handle the size of the bike, but the SX F is more of a track bike when I want go trail riding instead. The bike is geared so high that it's not very functional for a beginner who wants to ride on a trail. I've thought about trading it in on a quad or utv, but honestly dirt biking is awesome and I think maybe I just bought the wrong bike to get back into the sport. If you guys could give me any advice that would be really helpful, thanks so much...

Welcome to the forum. That's a great bike and you can change the final drive to make it more "trail bike friendly". What gears/sprockets are on it now? Check out different rears and fronts to change ratios. Good luck, but I would stick with it and just modify that for now.

Eh, I'd say you probably got the wrong bike. I tried the 450mx bike on the trails and it just didn't work for me. Boiled too easy in the slow stuff, extra pounds felt like double what the scale said, more power than needed and really, was unfair to the bike! Big mx'er wanted to run and run fast. I found the 250f is perfect for me in the woods. I actually stalled mine in a tricky section, was able to step off, clicked in neutral with my left hand, fired it up with my right hand, remount and motor on.
Sure, you can make it work.. and you can pull a trailer with a camaro, but it kinda takes the fun out of it. I say go 250f but either one is better than the 4 wheelr

I ride with several guys all thru the woods and mountain trails, who ride the kx450 and yz450, they do great on them. But they are also advanced riders, if you do like PALMER said and gear it more to your liking you may find it will be more what your looking for. im not a fan of 4 strokes but of all of the ones I've ridden the KX is the one I felt most comfortable on.

Yes, I think you bought the wrong bike. Seeing guys buy track bikes when they need an offroad bike is kind of epidemic in our sport. KTM makes it pretty easy though, to modify their race bikes to make them more trail friendly. for trail my first thing would be a rekluse clutch and or a flywheel weight. then I would ride it a time or two and pick some new gearing.

hey guys, I've decided I'm just gonna hang on to the 450 SFX and run it in the spring, it's too much bike for me right now, but I'm gonna respect the power and take my time until my skill improves...it will be scary for the first while but I think as long as you respect it and work on the fundamentals it won't be too long before I feel more comfortable on such a powerful bike, what do you guys think?

hey guys, I've decided I'm just gonna hang on to the 450 SFX and run it in the spring, it's too much bike for me right now, but I'm gonna respect the power and take my time until my skill improves...it will be scary for the first while but I think as long as you respect it and work on the fundamentals it won't be too long before I feel more comfortable on such a powerful bike, what do you guys think?

I think you will be fine as long as you have that respect and learn that throttle control.

I think you will be fine as long as you have that respect and learn that throttle control.
I totally agree! I too am getting back into riding after a 30 year break, and have recently purchased and brought a basket-case KLX650 back to life. But it's way too much bike for me right now, and since I just layed it over last Friday on the asphalt in my neighborhood (dumbass), it tells me that I need to spend some more time on something smaller before I take it out and go crazy with it.
Luckily I also just purchased a 99 YZ250, which while is still a lot of bike for me right now, I do think it is more aligned to what I need at this time.
As M33 said, throttle control is extremely important. I'm learning this (again) the hard way.
Just stay within your comfort zone...if you can, hehe...:banghead:

IMG_0185.JPG
Just rock it out!! It will get better as u get use to it! :thumb: I take the wrong bike to wrong places all the time!! If it fits it rips!!

Like I said, you can change it into anything you want.

Thx for all the information guys, I'm gonna try and tame the beast without any modifications to start, but if I can't do it then these suggestions will be very helpful :)