Petition to reintroduce 2T bikes to AMA MX and SX events

I just found this on my local area forum. I think its a good idea. If it is allowed it will be interesting to see who returns back to the 2T machines, and which bike is best where.

Its pretty easy to fill out.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/review-ama-pro-racing-rule-change.html

Please take the time to read about this. It isnt about banning or banned 2T machines. Its about introducing larger displacement 2T machines to MX and SX, to help make them more competetive.

i dont want to spoil so i will just say. after a certain event that happened in last weeks moto the announcers were even talking about 2t's.

Why were they banned in the first place?

Something about EPA environmental, green, tree hugging crap. What about the MILLIONS of 2 stroke weed wackers, Chain saws, boat engines, etc,etc, etc.??? I think they should bring them back. :banana:

i dont want to spoil so i will just say. after a certain event that happened in last weeks moto the announcers were even talking about 2t's.

Why were they banned in the first place?

Not banned I don't think, Honda bought the AMA a few years ago and had some rules changed... like no lead in the fuel, displacement changes and wieght requirements.

Something about EPA environmental, green, tree hugging crap. What about the MILLIONS of 2 stroke weed wackers, Chain saws, boat engines, etc,etc, etc.??? I think they should bring them back. :banana:

Not banned I don't think, Honda bought the AMA a few years ago and had some rules changed... like no lead in the fuel, displacement changes and wieght requirements.

lame. even tho im a 4t guy i say BRING EM BACK!!!

James

Staff member
:thumb:

They're not banned, they just aren't competitive against the modern 4 strokes anymore, due to rule changes. So basically none of the big teams use them anymore. If you really wanted to you could bring a 2 stroke to a National (or Supercross) event and attempt to qualify, people are actually doing that right now. Look at the qualifying results from Indy Supercross this year:

Scroll down to the number 37 qualifier (Alex Ray) and look at what bike he has, it's a KX250.
http://results.amasupercross.com/data/2011/10/sxpcovr.pdf

Here's the one from the last Outdoors race (Freestone), check out the 67th qualifer (Tanner Young), he's on a YZ250.
http://americanmotocrossresults.com/data/2011/02/450_qc_ovr.pdf

The movement I've seen was to change the rules to allow the 2 strokes to have bigger displacement, as that's about the only way [I know of] in making them more competitive.

However if you go look at the amateur ranks you'll notice that they do have equal displacement rules, which means 250F's race against 250 2 strokes. However the 250's still aren't very competitive, especially in the lower classes, however that has to due with the lack of skill. It's most likely fed by the mentality that a bigger bike makes you faster, however as you probably well know, for the great majority of people that isn't necessarily true.

There now you have my .02 cents. :rant::smirk:

Edit: Guess I should've read the above link first. :bonk:

The petition is for the AMA to change the displacement rules. :thumb:
This petition was generated to enact the following change to the AMA Pro Racing Rulebook Section 3.1: Allow 100-150cc 2-strokes in the 250 class and 151-300cc 2-strokes in the 450 class.
The Pro AMA Rulebook currently says this:

3.1 Engine Displacements
a. 250 Motocross Class: 0 – 125cc 2-Stroke / 150 – 250cc 4-stroke
b. 450 Motocross Class: 150 – 250cc 2-Stroke / 251 – 450cc 4-stroke​

After doing a little digging around the 2 stroke powered bikes are not and have not been banned. However....... I did find and read some interesting reasons why 2 stroke powered bikes do not race in PRO MX & SX AMA/FIM sanctioned races. Here are some of them

When the 4T bikes where first introduced they were sorta klunky heavy machines. But Yamaha, took a chance and started major R&D on the 4T machines and started winning races. The big 450 powered machine were just out classing there older technology 2T brother. So the saying what ever wins on Sunday is sold in large volumes the following pay day. The other 3 Japanese manufactures started R&D on there 4T machines and they too started winning races. Once again who ever wins on Sunday sells the following pay day. So now you have these new technology 4T machines out in the public market that are just simply out selling the 2T machines. If I was a motorcycle manufacturer and I made both machines and one was clearly out selling the other. I would drop the smaller sales machine turn that money into more R&D to the better selling machine.

So based off of this guys opinions (factual or not) We the consumers (and Pro racing) have driven the 2T machine to near extinction. Based off of what I have read the 4T machine (it kills me to say this) is the more powerful machine. Does this mean the 4T is better? Well....... I certainly dont think so. I think that the advent of the new shiney machine that won some races is what drove this to be the way it is. I mean who doesnt want new stuff, the latest and greatest. The only way that the big Japanese 4 will start up 2T manufacturing plus the required R&D to make better 2T machines is to buy new 2T machines. Now some of you purists that will only ride a certain color machine (yep Im guilty too) when it comes time to buy a new machine you may have to buy something that isnt in your color. To the best of my knowledge the only 2T machines that are still being developed and manufactured is KTM, ATK, and some other Euro manufactures. But if you want Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki to start making your 2T machines again............. We the consumer are the only ones that can get them back. By buying a new 2T machine from somebody else. This will increase the market and drive the Japanese markets to manufacture 2T machines so they can be competative and make more money. Unfortunately the change will probably come about long after Im able to ride off road anymore.

But it is up to us the dyed in the wool 2T riders to make this happen.
So it pains me to say that my next bike will either be a new (newer anyway) 4T machine, or a new (newer) orange 2T machine. Or maybe an ATK 2T.