oil leak from drain plug??

hey guys.
I have a KTM 450 EXC 2004 model. all has been good except a hopefully minor issue.
i noticed drips of oil on the concrete in the shed then had a look and also noticed a little bit of oil around the drain bolt washer and a little spread of it on the engine case just slightly below where the bolt is.

the bolt/threads are not stripped, the bolt tightens completely and right now its on pretty tight(as tight as it can safely go). i always tighten it using a ratchet spanner till its snug, then another quarter turn only, as i am unable to get a torque wrench/socket in there because a bit of the frame is in the way.

its not too much of an oil leak, very little drips here and there and its definitely not coming from the oil screen bolt because there is no oil around that, plus ive already replaced that bolt and o-ring.
ive washed the bike completely prior to this leak also, so its definitely not excess oil.

im wondering, would it just be the copper/crush washer that id need to replace? ive never replaced that washer or bolt.
not sure what else it could be....

Last edited:
no. that's the oil screen bolt.
this is the oil drain plug. its just a hex head bolt at the back left side of the engine casing.

that allen head bolt is at the bottom centre of the motor

I answered on TT...OK, yes it could be the washer as it will get hard after a few uses and should be replaced or annealled to soften it. Could be a crack in the threads of the case too.

i replied on TT lol.
it's not a big enough leak to warrant a crack in the engine case or threads.
I did use a high powered led torch and inspected all the threads and found nothing concerning. I did check for any cranks but from what I can tell, there is none.

also you said you tighten till snug and then quarter turn more. Remember this is only a plug to stop the oil from leaking out and holds no pressure, so, maybe you are tightening a little too muc and that would lead to hardening the copper faster, maybe