No clutch

Well i was raceing with YD today and was running 2 classes. At the end of the first moto i noticed that my clutch freeplay was too much. So i played with the adjustment on the cable and it was fine. At the end of the first race i noticed it was doing the same thing. My races were back to back so i had to go straight to the line. After the first turn i lost the clutch all together. I am out of adjustment and its a new cable, lever, pushrod, and actuator rod. So did the plates just get too worn? It didn't seem to slip before it gave out.

I am out of adjustment and its a new cable, lever, pushrod, and actuator rod. So did the plates just get too worn? It didn't seem to slip before it gave out.

It could be something easy like a broken cable.

In my experience there are two things that can happen. The friction material can literally break off. The other is overheating and having the clutch fry. All it takes is a little slipping and the heat builds until the friction material more or less burns. Actually both are usually due to overheating, but there is a difference in the endpoint.

Open your oil cap and take a quick wiff. If it smells like a forest fire then its the fried clutch.

Usually all you need is a new pack of fiber plates and metal discs.

SRAD97750

Staff member
736c7c59-53fe-4adf-a654-94a01c5c2630

If you weren't experiencing any slippage or uncontrollable grabbing, I would say the actual fibres and steels are fine. It would take alot to smoke a clutch while racing on a racetrack. It's easier to do when you're not actually moving forward very fast... (mud, sand, tight switchbacks)

I would pull off the clutch cover, pressure plate, and re-adjust your pushrod/cup. Of course check the plates while they are out.
Everytime I have adjustment issues, the cup has spun out of adjustment, not the cable or plates.

-BIG DAN:thumb:

aftermarket cable?
Motion-pro
It could be something easy like a broken cable.

In my experience there are two things that can happen. The friction material can literally break off. The other is overheating and having the clutch fry. All it takes is a little slipping and the heat builds until the friction material more or less burns. Actually both are usually due to overheating, but there is a difference in the endpoint.

Open your oil cap and take a quick wiff. If it smells like a forest fire then its the fried clutch.

Usually all you need is a new pack of fiber plates and metal discs.
i know the cable is good as it still moves the actuator, i'll take a wiff of the oil
736c7c59-53fe-4adf-a654-94a01c5c2630

If you weren't experiencing any slippage or uncontrollable grabbing, I would say the actual fibres and steels are fine. It would take alot to smoke a clutch while racing on a racetrack. It's easier to do when you're not actually moving forward very fast... (mud, sand, tight switchbacks)

I would pull off the clutch cover, pressure plate, and re-adjust your pushrod/cup. Of course check the plates while they are out.
Everytime I have adjustment issues, the cup has spun out of adjustment, not the cable or plates.

Thanks, this seems the most possible. I'll see what up with it this week

I dont think I have an adjustment for that.... please explain... :thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Im glad you figured it out easily. :ride:

AND PALMER
There is a threaded cup that actually rides on the pressure plate to actuate it. This cup can be adjusted and locked into position with an external nut. Typically this threaded rod has a phillips or allen tip for ease of adjustment.
Hopefully these pictures help out. NOT ALL BIKES ARE MADE/DESIGNED THE SAME! Your bikes may not have this adjustment.
In this image,
(13) and (14) make up the "cup" assembly. One tip is cupped for the ball bearing (31), one tip is phillips or allen.
(15) and (16) are the adjustment nut and lock washer.
CLUTCH.png

This image is how you adjust it.
Clutch%20Adjustment_JPG.jpg

-BIG DAN

Im glad you figured it out easily. :ride:

AND PALMER
There is a threaded cup that actually rides on the pressure plate to actuate it. This cup can be adjusted and locked into position with an external nut. Typically this threaded rod has a phillips or allen tip for ease of adjustment.
Hopefully these pictures help out. NOT ALL BIKES ARE MADE/DESIGNED THE SAME! Your bikes may not have this adjustment.
In this image,
(13) and (14) make up the "cup" assembly. One tip is cupped for the ball bearing (31), one tip is phillips or allen.
(15) and (16) are the adjustment nut and lock washer.

This image is how you adjust it.

-BIG DAN

Thanks Big Dan :thumb:

I actually have never seen an adjustment like that in my entire life...:noidea: