Other Newbie help

Never rode a motorbike before just got a honda xr80r it needed a chaim adjuster. Got that and then 15min or so after riding the chain breaks. Called the place that put it on they said im big for that bike and i would always need to be adjusting the chain iam about 6ft. 200lbs. Is the info they gave me correct or did i need a new chain and sprockets as well and they just didnt tell me. Please help dont want to be discouraged and stop trying to learn.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Never rode a motorbike before just got a honda xr80r it needed a chaim adjuster. Got that and then 15min or so after riding the chain breaks. Called the place that put it on they said im big for that bike and i would always need to be adjusting the chain iam about 6ft. 200lbs. Is the info they gave me correct or did i need a new chain and sprockets as well and they just didnt tell me. Please help dont want to be discouraged and stop trying to learn.
The only way to break a healthy chain is mis adjustment or severely worn sprockets. There are no dirtbikes putting enough torque out the counter shaft to break a chain via tensile pressure.
Riding style does have alot to do with frequency of chain adjustment, but it should typically just slowly stretch until links start binding and you replace it over the course of months and months.
I like to get 2 inches of gap above the swingarm pushing the chain upwards in the center.
10-1-v.1-e1405433680296.jpg
Note: a new chain means new sprockets or you'll destroy the new chain quickly.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

The only way to break a healthy chain is mis adjustment or severely worn sprockets. There are no dirtbikes putting enough torque out the counter shaft to break a chain via tensile pressure.
Riding style does have alot to do with frequency of chain adjustment, but it should typically just slowly stretch until links start binding and you replace it over the course of months and months.
I like to get 2 inches of gap above the swingarm pushing the chain upwards in the center.
View attachment 28769
Note: a new chain means new sprockets or you'll destroy the new chain quickly.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Thanks Man I appreciate you