Hi there all I am
New to this site but decided to take to it as I have a problem with my rm 125 2003 model, so here goes: I currently can ride the bike with no problems out of the band at low rpm and the bike shifts fine into gears no problems but when I am in first gear and shift into second under hard acceleration it slips into neutral gear and I have to knock it up back in again and sometimes happens in 3rd aswell only just started to happen to me and I’d like to get it fixed before something major goes wrong can any help or point me in any directions, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete (RM 125 2003 model)

Attachments

• 0A30F28C-0E7E-4234-9B88-0D74EBE043FA.jpeg
    0A30F28C-0E7E-4234-9B88-0D74EBE043FA.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0

SRAD97750

Staff member
It could be as simple as an adjustment in the lever. Have you changed brands of boot recently?
Be sure you are FULLY engaging the lever to the next position, and it is not contacting the case, under load.
If it was just 2nd falling to neutral, I'd say tear it down and look at the gears of the transmission for wear. But you say it happens in third sometimes too, which is indicative of a 'short-stroked' shift lever.
I miss gears alot until I get the lever adjusted perfectly with my boot, and everything going on under heavy load.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

How is 6th gear in that model? Any problems there? 2nd and 3rd sandwich 6th with the doggs and windows that lock the gears together? If 6th gear has any symptoms, than I would say you "might" have transmission issues. Worste case of course. Could be a loose shifter, or even worn pawls and/or shift stop.

I went through all the gears sound and low revs but when giving the bike some and shifting into second it would slip back out of gear again I have a manual and I have just take the engine out the bike I have never messed with an engine before and I hope it wasn’t something simple as the clutch cable as I have recently had a clutch cable fitted and then this started to happen a lot worse. I was thinking it could be the dogs worn as I read on a forum it could be that but I am just lost at the moment don’t want to take it to a shop to get my pants down with the price or pretend something is needed.

Thanks for this guys.

It could be as simple as an adjustment in the lever. Have you changed brands of boot recently?
Be sure you are FULLY engaging the lever to the next position, and it is not contacting the case, under load.
If it was just 2nd falling to neutral, I'd say tear it down and look at the gears of the transmission for wear. But you say it happens in third sometimes too, which is indicative of a 'short-stroked' shift lever.
I miss gears alot until I get the lever adjusted perfectly with my boot, and everything going on under heavy load.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Thanks for this help buddy much appreciated I just need to get to the bottom of this.

How is 6th gear in that model? Any problems there? 2nd and 3rd sandwich 6th with the doggs and windows that lock the gears together? If 6th gear has any symptoms, than I would say you "might" have transmission issues. Worste case of course. Could be a loose shifter, or even worn pawls and/or shift stop.
I’ve just got the engine out the bike and haven’t even split it yet this is the first time of doing mechanical side of this I normally just service every ride and it’s been a dream for me I’ve just had New cluctch cable as last one snapped on practice track.

Thanks