New to mx - Need advice

New to dirt bikes, but not new to two wheels. Have had a street bike of some kind for over 10 years. Rode a dirt bike once or twice a very long time ago. Have some friends that ride and I want to get out there. I am 5' 9", 170 lbs. I don't want to buy new, and I don't want to buy a smaller bike just to want to trade up in 6 months. I will mainly be riding in the desert, sand, and trails out here in Vegas/Dumont etc.. I like working on my own bikes as well so I'm not looking to buy new. Leaning towards a 250, but honestly I don't know shit about mx yet.. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Welcome to the site AJ, I am not familiar with the riding areas where you live, but I would say for the conditions you listed I'd say at least a 250 2 stroke, if you're more into 4 strokes, I'd go 450. one of the bikes I ride is a 300XC, I feel it's a bike that can span all skill levels, there are a few members on here that do some desert racing, who ride the same bike. I know that yamaha's YZ250 is a very popular desert bike as well. Hope you find a deal on a good bike for you and get to riding with your buddies soon.

Just dont buy a fixer uper!
clean low hours with receipts the more the better! most bikes will be listed as just serviced/ new top end! Trust noone unless you know the seller or bike well!

So the YZ250's are decent desert/sand bikes? Besides running and apparent damage, I realize bikes will be wrecked, anything major I should look for that might not be seen w the nekked eye?

Also, like I said I can handle myself on a harley, but two different types of riding. Any suggestions on riding tips videos etc? I don't want to get out there and look like a complete newby.

Others may have a different response, but I say just ride and learn from the seat. There are obviously many differences from street to dirt, but I'd say if you go somewhere and just practice cornering. Maybe do some figure 8's or whatever, but that is probably the thing new riders have problems with.

Dont get too bold too quickly or you will find yourself with a broken bike and broken you!:crash:
Where you will be used to looking a couple hundred metres ahead on road you will have to be looking 10-20 meters ahead offroad!
Which bikes are your friends riding?
Can you get a ride on any of them before you buy one to get a feel for size/ power/ 2T/ 4T.
Shop around and dont buy the first bike you see! :thumb: