New Project...

Hey y'all, So a while back I used to ride a grass track on my 03 cr125. It was the most fun I've ever had. Well anyway, Im 23 now and only get to throw a leg over once in a while when I head back to VT to see old friends. I really wanted something exciting to do with my fiancé and she jumped at the idea or riding together, so I just got my hands on an old Suzuki DR100 for her, 78-81, I don't know the exact year. So this old broken down DR100 is my gift to her, its a complete restoration from frame to plastics. Now heres why I'm here. I can tear down and rebuild 98% of this bike, theres just one thing, I've never ripped apart forks before, and well, these forks were out of the triple clamps and the active fork and fixed fork were already separated. Nothing appears to be broken but I don't know how to put or keep them together, I will post a picture of the forks to make this a little bit easier to answer. Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• Photo on 8-1-14 at 1.16 PM.jpg
    Photo on 8-1-14 at 1.16 PM.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo on 8-1-14 at 1.17 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-1-14 at 1.17 PM #2.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 6

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
The DR100 was made from 1983-1990. Could be a DS100 which was the previous models.
Forks are something you need a little experience with if you are going to assembly them from scratch.
I mean, if YOU didn't take it apart initially, it may be difficult to reassemble.

Here is a parts diagram for that era forks, I hope it is of some help.
DR100

1.jpg

DS100

2.jpg

Here's a generic fork rebuild video on YT. It's for a GS500, but covers the basics for standard forks found on older bikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cSYiIl8gQk

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Welcome!!!
Fiancé wants to do more couple stuff. Interesting. Let me know how that works out.

As for the forks. With the schematic Srad provided and a manual you should have everything you need to get the forks together. However those forks look like they have been apart since 84 so be careful of rust and stuff.
Good luck. :thumb:

Looking at those pics you might need to look for some new forks. Before buying anything you need to make sure that the forks are useable. If there is rust pitting on the chrome sliding surfaces of the fork tubes they are ruined. Those pits will tear the for seals leading to leaks. If there is pitting and it catches you finger nail as you slide it on the surface then it's no good.

You also need to get all the rust from every part of the internals. Same concern for rust on any of the sliding surfaces like where the damper rod runs.

If there is rust damage to a critical area then look to eBay for a replacement set. I bet that you can find one for under $100 delivered. If you are replacing consider a whole front end. You might even be able to get a front disc that way.

Last edited: