Hey guys, long time chinese pitbike rider and its time to step up to a big jap bike.
Not sure what to get, look for, avoid etc.
Thinking 2 stroke but regular rebuild cost scares me a bit. Should it?
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Cost is a big thing. Dont want to spend much more than $2000AUS

Thanks guys,
Brenton

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome!
Long time chinese pitbike rider here as well! :hifive:

Any of the japanese dirtbikes are going to be awesome in conparison.

Dont fear a 2t, they are no more cost or work than a 4t. It's more about your riding style preference than anything else. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Welcome Brenton.....as long as the price is right, try to get into a japbike built in the last 15 years. There's not that much junk built during that period, but for sure, throw some pics of what your looking at up and you'll get some feed back for sure.

I weigh about 75kg give or take, was thinking 250cc coz wasnt sure if 125cc would be suitable??.
Whats the different styles suited to either 2t or 4t? I do mostly trail riding, flatland stuff. Not so much mx tracks and jumping.
Love the obnoxious ring of a 2 stroke.

So I managed to find a guy that swapped me a 1997 yamaha dt200 for my pitbike. Only problem is, is it has problems.
When started ut just rings out like the throttle is stuck on full. Just then when I started it, it began ringing out, I pulled the spark plug lead and it just kept running no worries.. any thaughts people?

I had an it 175 that did that it would rev flat when the choke was on but die when choke was off. It ended up having an air leak in the cylinder gasket between the crankcase and the barrel.

Kept running because the spary is jumping....
Check to make sure the carb slide is properly installed and then look for air leaks... usually a left side crank seal does that

Bikes all fixed. Needed new base gasket as jimsowen mentioned, got new rings installed too and it runs awesome.
Selects all 6 gears faultlessly and yamalube oil injection system works perfectly.
The mechanic has heard of 2 stroke with an air leak continuing to run after spark plug lead is removed. he called it dieseling!!
Does anyone know if theres a similar plastic tank and front plastics that will suit the dt200. The original tank is rusted through, got a temporary fix happening but I will need a new tank.
In adelaide I havnt successfully been able to find an original tank.