New Here

Hi all,

I'm new here. I've been reading the forums for a while but have finally decided to sign up.

I'm a relatively novice/intermediate rider running a '99 YZ250. I don't race, but love to run the tracks on the weekends (though still improving all that technique and what not). Being in the Midwest, I really only have about 6-7 good months to ride the thing (and due to work schedule, I tend to be a weekend warrior at best). But overall, turns out I really like fixing the thing up, so the off-time isn't horrible (even if undesirable). Hopefully I'll be posting around and learning some things.

-RageD

You might have the same bike as mine. Is yours the competition model?
Would like to know what altitude you're at and what your jets are?
Lots of smart and friendly peeps here.
Welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I will definitely have to post some pics. It's certainly not the prettiest bike-- I bought this one from a guy about a year ago and it was pretty beat up. After replacing the forks, top-end rebuild, etc., and several bottles of shout later, the work is not done (the plastics still looking a bit tired :smirk:).

I mostly bought this one as a project; I wanted to learn to do my own repairs and not worry about wrecking an expensive bike. I used to ride when I was younger, but it was over 10 years probably since the last time I had ridden until I bought this one last year. As a result, if I had a yard sale I would have avoided falling to my knees in tears (instead, I would just cry standing up :pout:).

Anyway, turns out the bike had more problems than I realized in my naivety :) As I mentioned, I had to replace the forks, rebuild top-end (fortunately connecting rod still seemed stiff as ever) and clutch, replace sprockets, brakes, and more. For a novice such as myself, it was a bit daunting and I actually spent the first couple of months getting parts and fixing things before I could even ride it! The learning opportunity was totally worth it, though. Actually, as I hit road blocks where the manual couldn't help me, I ended up finding a lot of good advice on these forums.

The most valuable (and, perhaps, painful) skill I've learned through all of this though is how to drill out seized and stripped bolts... I've had more than a few on here so far and wasted far more time than it's probably worth :)

Anyway, as my riding is improving, I hope to be upgrading sometime soon here.

You might have the same bike as mine. Is yours the competition model?
Would like to know what altitude you're at and what your jets are?
Lots of smart and friendly peeps here.
Welcome.

I do run the competition model (YZ250L1) :) I ride somewhere around 765ft in altitude and switch between #168 and #172 main jets depending time of year/temperature.

-RageD

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply! Thats useful information.
I am in the 1200-1500ft range and have been slowly trying to dial in my YZ, with much help from the fine scholars and gentlemen here at DBA :lol:

Here are a couple of pics I just grabbed from the garage. I need to work on my photography skills :) (one hobby at a time).

Believe it or not, I'm somewhat proud of that pipe. When I bought the bike, it was covered in rust and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to save it. SoS pads, scotchbrite pads, and shout eventually helped me get much of it off.

Still not as clean as I'd like, but we're getting there... slowly but surely.

Got some new tires to put on soon too when it thaws a bit :)

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

Nice. Get some mothers wheel polish and hit the pipe with that. One to apply and one to buff off, makes pipes look close to new and lasts a good amount of time.

99 was the compitition model before they just started lining them according to letters.

Nice. Get some mothers wheel polish and hit the pipe with that.

I'll definitely be picking some of that up for sure, thanks. I'm always looking for ways to get it in better shape! Thoughts about the plastic side cover? That has seemed to be beyond cleaning at this point :( replacement the only option here you think?

I'll definitely be picking some of that up for sure, thanks. I'm always looking for ways to get it in better shape! Thoughts about the plastic side cover? That has seemed to be beyond cleaning at this point :( replacement the only option here you think?
Thats all I do is replace. Others have sanded fuel cells and clear coated etc. Try CRC brake cleaner from walmart if you can. Spray it strait on, wipe off with cloth towel.