New Dirt Bike Rider !

So I just sold my yfz450 and bout 2 twin yz426f dirt bikes and im not sure how to really ride them yet. I can go in a straight line pretty fast but on the turn im not good and i get whisky throttle a little. Can anyone give me any tips on how to ride a dirt bike ? Thanks

SRAD97750

Staff member
WELCOME!
On a dirtbike, I use my boots/knees to pinch the tank to hang on. Very little grip is required with the correct body position. This also prevents whiskey throttle and arm pump.
Practice practice practice.
Whether is makes sense to you or not, the physics of turning a motorcycle (over 5 mph) goes against your brain.
PUSH the bar the way you want to go. Want to turn right, apply forward pressure to the RH bar.
You've always done it on a bicycle, but probably didn't know it.
RIDE -BIG DAN:thumb:

SQUAT don't sit! If you hover your rear end it is easier to adjust body position and the bike can bounce around underneath you without disturbing your control. When turning, keep your elbows up and push your foot hard the outside peg until you almost lift your rear end. Ride ride ride ! welcome to the forum and congratulations on being one less four wheeler operator.

Last edited:
You really can't get whiskey throttle "a little". Either you get it and yard sale you and/or your bike or you don't lol. Not really an in between sort of thing haha

I think you will find it easier to use your knees the way Dan suggests if you point your toes in pigeon toe style.

Welcome, we can talk more on foot placement. Figure 8's done intensely each riding session are the best drill I know, and you would be surprised on who has used those drills for everything from flattrack and roadracing to motox.