need help !!

I have a 2005 yz250f and it's leaking oil from the header pipe bolts on the block. Can't figure out the problem I've torn the whole bike down motor is in peices and can't find the problem. I've done so much research and no one's had the same problem. I'm at the point of giving up and getting rid of the bike but don't want too can't I have over 2 grand wrapped up in it. Any ideas?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Its leaking oil from the exhaust port studs???
Are you sure its not coming from the pipe? Perhaps from the valve cover gasket?

Being that there are no oil galleys near the exhaust, I am not sure how it could be leaking from the front of the head.

Do you have any photos?
-BIG DAN:thumb:

I would have to go to the shed in the morning. I haven't thought of taKing any pictures and it probably wouldn't help with the bike being in 100 peices. But I still will. And the only reason I think it's coming from the the header studs is cause I alway kept my bike really clean and that's the only spot I seen oil and it's not from the header it's self cause it would drip on top of it and smoke like crazy. I'm like at a loss here. My uncles rode for 40 years and hes never even heard of this.

I would have to go to the shed in the morning. I haven't thought of taKing any pictures and it probably wouldn't help with the bike being in 100 peices. But I still will. And the only reason I think it's coming from the the header studs is cause I alway kept my bike really clean and that's the only spot I seen oil and it's not from the header it's self cause it would drip on top of it and smoke like crazy. I'm like at a loss here. My uncles rode for 40 years and hes never even heard of this.

The source of the leak doesn't make sense, I'd clean the area well and run the bike till you notice oil again, maybe it will give a clearer idea if it's leaking from somewhere other than the header studs.

By the way, welcome to DBA Dillon.

That might be what I have to do. Cause I'm clueless. I mean I know my fair share about bikes. But I don't know. I may just have to speed up the rebuild process and get back on here later With an update. Thanks everyone with the help so far. I may just be over looking something or not looking hard enough.

Yep. Focus on that last sentence. At least the price of oil is slowly coming down!!

If you are really curious, remove the studs and see if you have oil running out. If it doesnt run out when the motor isnt running, start it up. If it still doesnt run out, then it wasn't the studs.

Last edited: