Other NEED HELP What dirt bike to get

I'm going with what John said. Go get what you want, what fits, what you can afford, and respect the hell out of it.
You'll be fine.
Or maybe not, who knows. Riding dirt bikes can be dangerous.
Hows your boy doing John? Riding again?

At 15, my son was riding a YZ250F. He was about your size at the time and came off a YZ85 to the 250f. I looked into getting him a 125 2 stroke, but with a shorter inseam, he would struggle with the clutch in off camber or rocky situations. I want him to get use to the bike size more and the 4 stroke would allow him to tractor through those areas better without fighting the clutch as much.

Once he figured that out, he moved to a YZ250 2 stroke.

Hows your boy doing John? Riding again?
He’s better
s7VgHhi.jpg

Did a two day’er last weekend. I didn’t even crash and yet I still feel like I was hit by a car!
First lap
images

Last lap
images

Whole track looked like that I wish I had a shot of the jump faces. twist and pucker

Awesome!
Now I'm jonesing to get back to the track. Wrist is much better. Prolly not good enough, but by the time I get the kiddos yz going, I should be good to go.
If I had a bike...lol!

At my age I still find the 80-85's lots of fun. Always nice to have one around and if you can find one cheap enough you can ride it until you find out what you really like. Lots of ways to tune one if you want to spend some fairly serious money on them. Used 4 strokes of the racing variety can become money pits pretty fast. The Yamaha 5 valver is pretty reliable for it's genre, look for one of those if you want a 4 stroke. Comes in a great trail version (wr) too.

At 15, my son was riding a YZ250F. He was about your size at the time and came off a YZ85 to the 250f. I looked into getting him a 125 2 stroke, but with a shorter inseam, he would struggle with the clutch in off camber or rocky situations. I want him to get use to the bike size more and the 4 stroke would allow him to tractor through those areas better without fighting the clutch as much.

Once he figured that out, he moved to a YZ250 2 stroke.
My friend has a crf 150r and a cr85 big wheel they both seem fast an powerful need a bike a can learn on and not grow out of right away

At my age I still find the 80-85's lots of fun. Always nice to have one around and if you can find one cheap enough you can ride it until you find out what you really like. Lots of ways to tune one if you want to spend some fairly serious money on them. Used 4 strokes of the racing variety can become money pits pretty fast. The Yamaha 5 valver is pretty reliable for it's genre, look for one of those if you want a 4 stroke. Comes in a great trail version (wr) too.
Do you think the cr 85 has to much power for a beginner of riding dirt bikes

That depends on lots of things. Stock it is not exactly easy to keep in the power band. Playing on flatter stuff other than sand should get someone your size and age comfy pretty fast.

Find a nice late 80's to early 90's Kdx-200, I was going to say the mighty cr-500 but the power of the beast isn't a good idea for a beginner, plus you have to have some strength to even kick start it...