RM125 Need Advice

Hey y'all so I just got done rebuilding the top end on my 94 RM 125 started on the second kick with no problems. I wanted to start breaking it in and go through the heat cycles so I took it for a ride giving it variable throttle (on the first ride I did nothing more than 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I noticed there was not that much power and when I stopped I noticed my air/fuel mixture screw was no longer there. I already ordered a new one but my question is, if it is possible I messed anything up by riding the bike with now screw? I'm asking this because now it will currently not start. Any input would be great. Thank you

SRAD97750

Staff member
Most likely you did not do any damage if it still ran, but without that screw, the mixture was really lean.
Get the screw and have at it again!
-BIG DAN:thumb:

I would wait on the screw. It is probably too lean to start without the screw being in place. If you hold your finger etc over the hole the low speed air screw was in, you can probably make it start, and as long as you have the hole covered like that it will run really rich. probably the reason it started so easily before was that it was really rich. anytime i see one that is a consistent one kick starter by anyone smaller than Goliath I know I can make it a faster rig fairly easily.

Teflon tape on threads helps also!

Send us a picture of your low speed air or fuel screw with teflon tape. I am sure you can do it, but in 50 eyars of using said tape, it will be the only time I have seen it in that application!!!

Once you send the picture I will tell you why I would never consider it.:prof:

Don't know what you're thinking ? Teflon tape is for pipe threads , it also helps threaded screws to keep from vibrating loose . Do not apply to any part other than threads , do not let it get into carb port , you will never get it out and will not be able to adjust it properly !!!

Don't know what you're thinking ? Teflon tape is for pipe threads , it also helps threaded screws to keep from vibrating loose . Do not apply to any part other than threads , do not let it get into carb port , you will never get it out and will not be able to adjust it properly !!!

Let me help you out here: your post that I quoted came after a couple of others with instructions on how to keep your fuel screw or air screw from coming out of the carburetor, and YOU mentioned the use of teflon tape. Now is it clearer why I questioned the use of the tape, which you sir, seem to agree with as well? If not disregard.

yeah, i live by it too, but on the air connections, hydraulics etc I am really hesitant. The epa would not be happy with my let it drip philosophy. You can skip the first 1/3 of the threads, but on any future take aparts and reassembly you have to be so careful, and on my vacuum trucks you can't always see if you did indeed get the disassembled parts completely free from the left overs. Funny you should mention it, but the first guy to show me teflon tape was a lease pumper for Union Oil in the field near Coalinga Calif, known as "The Nose". that was in 1965.

I like the tape too but I'd never put it on a fuel screw. Threads too fine and application too sensitive. The tape works best, in my opinion, on threads meant to stay put, not adjustable. I put petrol resistant tape behind the o-ring on a needle valve seat once, that worked really well. Also like to wrap crush washers and get a few more uses out of them. Here's a pic of one of my more inventive uses.
master hack
D2833068-8092-4E59-A4AA-1E3E656E584C.jpg

o-ring tore while coming off so I threw this together. New one came in days later, still have in the pkg if this ever leaks. Going on about a year now..