My future

yamadogyz, gotta commend your aspirations of thinking about your future. Your about my sons age (he'll be 14 soon). Very artistic, creative and great at drawing. Our entire family (with the exception of my mom who is an RN) is in the building industry: my father, architect, my brother owns a CAD company, uncles and cousins, architect and builders. I worked in community planning for a large civil engineering firm. While I think you're career choice is AWESOME, I worry about it's future, maybe because the market is so flat, and there's not much happening, at least where I live. I know so many talented and successful people who are out of work right now. The building industry runs in cycles, about every tens years it hits, but this time seems much different Even my brother is struggling, on the verge of losing his home of 16 years due to no new projects, or even remodels coming in. The engineering company I worked for (a fortune 500 company, with offices across 5 states), down from 1,800 employees, to 400 right now and only afloat because of being awarded some large contract projects with either the military or the government. Not much in the way of any private sector type projects happening right now, and yes.. this can all change.

I think technology and engineering could hold great ops in the future, and the given... anything in the health care industry. Despite, Obama's health care plan (which, sorry if this offends, I think sucks), if you think about it... the largest generation in our nations history will be retiring soon and there will be a huge demand, if not shortage (there is already), for just about anything in the health care field ~ job security... most likely guaranteed.

I'm not one to ever discourage someone from pursuing their life's passion. To me success is when a person's career is their hobby/passion. That's how it should be and how we are our happiest, when we're doing what we love to do. We can't predict the future, but we can look at what's happening and numbers. The way things look right now, I'd keep the design stuff in focus (remember there's a dime a dozen of talented people starving in this field right now), and maybe look for something secondary to have up your sleeve that you can fall back on, maybe in the way of new age type-technology/engineering/web designing, and definitely health care. Just my op. Hope my son gets his head out of the clouds... sigh.

Cool work James! :thumb:

That made alot of sense. Obamacare does suck. Anyhow, I was concerned about the same thing. A job in CAD is great because we have work for it and it requires no experiance. To be honest I don't even know how the econemy will be when I'm out of school. Might be better, might be worse :noidea: I'll have to take the classes I like and could be useful and then see later what I can find work in along those lines. If I can find something then off to collage to improve upon the skill and possibly use it to open a bisnuess. I might have to change all my plans. who knows...