My body position, jumping

Hello,

Went the track today and had some real steep jumps.
Think my body position is awful I think my head should be over the handlebars ... what do you think?
I was far back because my back end was sometimes bucking up and I found if I had my bum at the rear it would stop this .. anyway heat
Is a pic

That looks like a fun jump. The distance is perfect, not too much to get over it. I could see myself spending all day on that.
Are you backing off the throttle a touch just before you leave the ramp?

Yeah looks fun. Nice dirt, little drift to the right for some style points!
Matt I'd say just seat time and more seat time is the best advice. If your rear is bucking up you may want to increase the rebound dampening a click or two. It will slow the rear spring. Like he said spend all day on that one, pull off the track and cut safely and reenter and hit the jump again.
mmm makes me want to go do some mx this weekend

It’s a brilliant jump, and just before it there is a long lazy bermed corner that you can just pin the throttle ...
The compound on that track is mud mixed with sand, it’s great.

Regarding the jump, sometimes I would let off the throttle depending on my entry speed, I would say it bucks all the time, sometimes the front wheel comes up instead but I just panic and put my ass over the back seat anyway to compensate for the buck. I was sometimes finding the bike coming away from underneath me aswel and my feet lifting from the pegs, take it I’m not gripping tight enough with my knees?
Here some more pics, I’m a beginner by the way so not much action shots ha!

I also noticed I need some new footpegs because mine are like butter and I also need to start looking at the exit of the bend rather than my front tyre, on the occasion I looked at the exit, I was a lot faster and smoother, but sometimes I was to worried about were my front tyre was going as there was some soft ruts forming. I could just go over them and flatten them anyway I don’t know what I was worried about. Anyway some more pics

Last edited:
Very nicely built for the variety of riders a track like that produces. I like two wheel's suggestion about setup. Lots of guys like me seldom change settings, but too many (I think) ride them like they bought them. Sooooo, start with setting the preload ( some people call it race sag), and move on to the suspension settings.

You are already taking some pics. My suggestion is to video and compare your position to the riders who are more successful on that jump. Then compare yourself to the instructional videos that instructors like Gary Semics produce.

The easiest way I know to increase tthe grip with your knees is to hold your feet in a pigeon toed position. Ie place them on the pegs at what you consider your normal sit down spacing: stand and turn your toes inward a little. If you haven't tried it, do it on the stand and you can see what it does. Helps me in guiding the bike with my knees.