motorcycle specific brake fluid.

I've never used motorcycle specific brake fluid (Belray, Silkolene, Maxima, Honda, Suzuki brands etc etc). I have always used a store brand like STP or Prestone. Since I have owned my 06 RM250 (bought used in 08) I changed the brake fluid 1-2 times a year and it always comes out black. Front brakes are perfect and it comes out clear.... Black fluid is supposed to be the result of overheating, but I dont have this problem on my KX and I owned that bike for 10 yrs.

Has anyone else here had this problem? Do you or don't you use a name brand fluid from a motorcycle specific company?

Thanks.
M33:thumb:

I've never used motorcycle specific brake fluid (Belray, Silkolene, Maxima, Honda, Suzuki brands etc etc). I have always used a store brand like STP or Prestone. Since I have owned my 06 RM250 (bought used in 08) I changed the brake fluid 1-2 times a year and it always comes out black. Front brakes are perfect and it comes out clear.... Black fluid is supposed to be the result of overheating, but I dont have this problem on my KX and I owned that bike for 10 yrs.

Has anyone else here had this problem? Do you or don't you use a name brand fluid from a motorcycle specific company?

Thanks.
M33:thumb:

Maybe your braking really hard causing excess heat? Like your pads or rotors are worn or just aren't gripping well so you have to really hammer the brakes causing lots of excess heat?

Just a thought...

I don't go fast enough to use brakes. I use my feet to stop :smirk:

Nah, I use just the cheapo dot4 made for cars. Never seen any issues. If you brakes where getting hot enough to boil the fluid, I would think you would see it in the operation of the brakes. My friend had a DRZ400 that would boil the fluid after riding for awhile and he brakes wouldn't work. I think he flushed his lines and put new in it and it fixed it.

No problems w2ith the front. The rear does over heat tho. I deal with it by lowering the pedal so i dont drag it by my foot accidentally pushing on it. I then switched to Motul 600 fluid. On the net it is said to have the best heat resistance. It has been working for me since the last over heat when I lost brakes and then switched up to Motul.

ok so I found Yammi OEM pads are the same as mine and they come with a heat dispersing backer so I'm gonna try that with bike specific brake fluid. :noidea:
why Yammi oem? cause they are Nissan pads and $90 less than zook