more trail friendly crf 250r

Hey guys, this is my first post. So I just picked up a 2005 crf 250r and I absolutely love it. The only problem I have with it is that it is not trail friendly at all. First gear no throttle it is pretty fast. And on top of that it stalls if I turn the idle down and. So I checked my sprocket set up and I have 13 teath on the front and 52 in the back. I just wanted to ask if anyone has done any good mods to make a race bike more trail friendly. Also those rekluse Z starts are way to expensive.

BRO250R's are great bikes with a little work.

First thing you should do, is set the sag.
its free other than your time and it needs to be done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns4pJO7zyHg

Next order of business is some protection for the bikes vital parts, skid plate, radiator braces, hand guards, pick up an hour meter and a spare air filter while you're at it.

As far as the stalling, this is a mx gear box so 1st is going to be a little tall, you can gear it down, but just remember theres always a trade off, if you gear it lower you won't have the top speed or the run out in each gear, but thats dependent on your riding set up, I would suggest that you leave the front alone and go bigger on the rear as the effect is less drastic.

Another must is a spark arrestor, rather it be an end cap or a new muffler, the end cap is cheaper, and a muffler won't gain you a lot.
http://www.btosports.com/p/Pro-Moto-Billet-Spark-Arrestor-Endcap-Honda

The other thing you need to do is post some pictures here.

Last edited:
BRO250R's are great bikes with a little work.

First thing you should do, is set the sag.
its free other than your time and it needs to be done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns4pJO7zyHg

Next order of business is some protection for the bikes vital parts, skid plate, radiator braces, hand guards, pick up an hour meter and a spare air filter while you're at it.

As far as the stalling, this is a mx gear box so 1st is going to be a little tall, you can gear it down, but just remember theres always a trade off, if you gear it lower you won't have the top speed or the run out in each gear, but thats dependent on your riding set up, I would suggest that you leave the front alone and go bigger on the rear as the effect is less drastic.

Another must is a spark arrestor, rather it be an end cap or a new muffler, the end cap is cheaper, and a muffler won't gain you a lot.
http://www.btosports.com/p/Pro-Moto-Billet-Spark-Arrestor-Endcap-Honda

The other thing you need to do is post some pictures here.
The bike already has aluminum radiator guards, and radiator braces, aluminum hand guards and a skid plate. and I am not to worried about speed, I like riding tight trails. I was thinking of going from either a 13-12 front sprocket or 52-54 rear sprocket. And I find the suspension quiet alright(for now)

Attachments

• IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0219.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0220.jpg
    IMAG0220.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 11
The bike already has aluminum radiator guards, and radiator braces, aluminum hand guards and a skid plate. and I am not to worried about speed, I like riding tight trails. I was thinking of going from either a 13-12 front sprocket or 52-54 rear sprocket. And I find the suspension quiet alright(for now)
yeah, but imagine how much better it will be when the shock is allowed to work within its correct area for your weight. Its free, doesn't take that long, and can only improve it.

Looks good, you still need a spark arrestor, I have my stock muffler with the PMB insert installed that I don't use anymore.

Going lower will benefit you than, if the 12t is too low you can always fine tune it with the rear.

Last edited:
yeah, but imagine how much better it will be when the shock is allowed to work within its correct area for your weight. Its free, doesn't take that long, and can only improve it.

Looks good, you still need a spark arrestor, I have my stock muffler with the PMB insert installed that I don't use anymore.

Going lower will benefit you than, if the 12t is too low you can always fine tune it with the rear.
Ya I might get a desert tank as well so I can ride longer. But I love the power this bike oozes

Ya I might get a desert tank as well so I can ride longer. But I love the power this bike oozes
Keep an eye on ebay, I got mine for $50 brand new with a ton of other hardware.
Deals are out there, just keep an eye out.
If you want my muffler with PMB insert shoot me an offer, it just sits so I'm not looking for a crap load of money.

Keep an eye on ebay, I got mine for $50 brand new with a ton of other hardware.
Deals are out there, just keep an eye out.
If you want my muffler with PMB insert shoot me an offer, it just sits so I'm not looking for a crap load of money.
Thanks but I don't need a spark arrester

Welcome Luke :cheers: I hear what you are saying - I took my son's race bike out for a trail ride last spring and it made me decide to never ride an MX bike again - ever. My nose was smashed and my heart was beating about eleventeen hundred beats per minute. The Recluse sounds like a real good idea to me, no matter what it cost - trying to kick start my kid's bike every 200 yards was way too much work. Good luck sir. :thumb:

Hey guys, this is my first post. So I just picked up a 2005 crf 250r and I absolutely love it. The only problem I have with it is that it is not trail friendly at all. First gear no throttle it is pretty fast. And on top of that it stalls if I turn the idle down and. So I checked my sprocket set up and I have 13 teath on the front and 52 in the back. I just wanted to ask if anyone has done any good mods to make a race bike more trail friendly. Also those rekluse Z starts are way to expensive.
Try a flywheel weight, it will tame the motor, help keep it from stalling as much at lower speeds, and you may be able to turn down the idle a little with out it stalling.pretty cheap and easy if nothing else it will make it more trail friendly.

Thanks for some input. I swapped the sprocket in the front from 13 to a 12 tooth, It is much better. I ride in tight bushy trails so the speed limit doesn't bother me. I was amazed by how Much it actually decresed it is almost a full gear. The exeleration is incredible now to, specially in those short straights in the trail.