mate bought an xr400....won't run without choke??

hey guys.
my mate just bought a Honda XR400. he chose one that just had a full rebuild done by a shop(valve clearances checked and new choke slide/butterfly), was shown the receipts. it's a 1998 model.

last night, when we ran the bike, it idled fine and ran fine.
today, my mate went to kick start it again, but it didn't want to run or idle without the choke fully on.
then all of a sudden he also had fuel leaking out the overflow hose constantly.
we drained all the old, dirty fuel from the tank, and filled up with new fuel.

i then took the carby apart(float bowl) and cleaned out the pilot jet(was clogged). cleaned out the main jet and gave the rest of the carby a general clean out. I also checked and re-adjusted the float height(parallel with the carby body) and cleaned inside the valve seat, inspected the float valve(was all good)...then put the carby back together. checked valve clearances, checked the o-rings, checked for leaks around the air intake, everything was all good. air filter was clean and fitted properly.

the leak out the overflow hose stopped......but the bike still didn't run without the choke on(lever facing down).
even once you give it throttle without the choke on, it just dies.
turning the mixture screw all the way in or out, didn't really have much of an effect either.
anyone have any idea what it could be? i've cleaned out the pilot jet, main jet, float needle seat, inspected everything.....im stumped??
just weird that it was running last night without the choke(i made sure choke was off before he test rode it).....and today, it won't run at all without the choke. so i doubt its the jetting, seeing as it only started playing up not even 12 hours later.

Last edited:
Sounds like pilot system still has partials in it. Are you guys running a 20 or less micron filter in the fuel hose? Is that a stock carby? I had an 03 with a pumper carby and it was heads above the stock. Makuni was mine.

I agree with Palmer, there must still be some debris in there somewhere. If there is dirt in the line or system it will get in there and get stuck as soon as fuel starts to flow.

the low speed jet may be clear, but the passage that it feeds can still be plugged. you may have an air leak as well, kind of an "and/or" thing.