Maintenance on new bikes

I got a 2014 wr450f and 2012 ttr125l. I'm mechanically inclined and have done work on my cars, but know nothing about dirt bikes. From my understanding I should be changing the oil and cleaning the filter on them every 2-3 rides (depending on how hard the ride was). How often does the the air filter need to be changed, vs cleaned? Anything else that needs to be maintained?

Also, what synthetic oil do you guys recommend? I live in AZ and all riding will be done in temeratures between 40 and 110 degrees. From my research it looks like 15w-40 Rotella is something most people agree on, especially if its changed often.

Thanks!

I'd say that's good advice....I'd only add that if you get into water you may need to change the oil after you get back, regardless of how many hours.

Of course don't neglect adjusting your chain, checking for loose bolts, hose clamps etc....

Last edited:
If you want to go synthetic the Mobil 1 10w40 Motorcycle oil did pretty good in oil tests and can be bought at Wal Mart. It is what I'm using in my KX450, I like the way the clutch feels with it so I will likely continue to use it, changed every 10 hours

Grease grease grease. It is your best friend. Make sure to tear that linkage apart every so often. Especially if your using a power washer. I don't use a power washer anymore. Bearing covers are not built to stop water at 2000 psi!! I tear my bearing apart every 20 hours. Linkages are expensive!

Any of the 15-40's should do fine for both rigs. I am not aware of any of them (15-40's) being full synthetics though, and I am convinced it won't need to be. Of the conventionals, Chevron's Dello is the most "nonconventional"and is a bit more refined than the rest. It shows in how it flows cold. Semi syns are offered by companies like Valvoline and when you buy that as NAPA's branded oil in semi syn formulation is can be pretty inexpensive. It is the same oil either way that Cummins has bottled with their label on it.

I like the water proof greases even in dry climates because they stick better when you use a pressure washer (which you shouldnt use anyway). Don't spend big on them, and you won't have to if you buy them as wheel bearing grease for boat trailers.

I use Rotella T synth, Walmart $20 a gal. Change oil every few rides and oil filters every two oil changes.

CLEAN air filter every ride if dusty or real wet. If not dust you can go a couple of rides...replace filter with new one depends upon how often it gets cleaned which wears it out by breaking down the glue and foam.

Stay away from chain wax or thick gooey stuff. Use a synth chain lube...this is all so the dirt doesn't stick to the chain causing a mess and wearing the chain out due to the grit stuck on it from the lube.

Look into valve adjustments before too long so you know its good after you just got the bikes. If you do it yourself do the small bike first and see how it goes, Im guessing its a screw adjustment and I think the 450 is a shim-not sure on a Yam. If its too much for you then have the 450 done by someone else.

Last edited:
Grease grease grease. It is your best friend. Make sure to tear that linkage apart every so often. Especially if your using a power washer. I don't use a power washer anymore. Bearing covers are not built to stop water at 2000 psi!! I tear my bearing apart every 20 hours. Linkages are expensive!

Is there any online charts showing what needs to be greased? Can you guys recommend a specific brand grease. I'm mechanically inclined and good with my hands, so I can usually do any work needed. However I do enjoy having nice visual aids and knowing exactly what to buy! The more decisions I gotta make at the store, the more likely I will look at all the greases, sit there 20 minutes looking at all of them and just say F it! haha

I got some Mobile 1 synthetic grease in a tub, is that the one I need?

I use Rotella T synth, Walmart $20 a gal. Change oil every few rides and oil filters every two oil changes.

CLEAN air filter every ride if dusty or real wet. If not dust you can go a couple of rides...replace filter with new one depends upon how often it gets cleaned which wears it out by breaking down the glue and foam.

Stay away from chain wax or thick gooey stuff. Use a synth chain lube...this is all so the dirt doesn't stick to the chain causing a mess and wearing the chain out due to the grit stuck on it from the lube.

Look into valve adjustments before too long so you know its good after you just got the bikes. If you do it yourself do the small bike first and see how it goes, Im guessing its a screw adjustment and I think the 450 is a shim-not sure on a Yam. If its too much for you then have the 450 done by someone else.

I'm glad you mentioned the chain, that was my next question. What do I do with the chain? Whats the best way to clean it and re lube it without making a total mess? Also, how do I know if it's too loose.

Your maintenance and preride checks will be outlined in your owners manual. Follow them religiously and you won't have any issues. I'm a big "motorcycle only" oil guy but I use Rotella 15w40 in my TTR for about 5yrs now and I have had 000 issues. Not even a clutch which is a wear item. Air filters I clean every ride on my race bike and every other ride on my TTR. Chain lube..... I just use PBBlaster. It cleans and lubricates. I haven't found anything that I actually like other than that. I like the chain wax but it's a hassle to put on. Chain needs to be warm so it melts into the link etc etc. Just easier to use the PB blaster before, during the ride and right after the wash.
The only thing I can't find at my walmart is air filter oil. That's a motorcycle only thing.
Good luck. :thumb:

Your maintenance and preride checks will be outlined in your owners manual. Follow them religiously and you won't have any issues. I'm a big "motorcycle only" oil guy but I use Rotella 15w40 in my TTR for about 5yrs now and I have had 000 issues. Not even a clutch which is a wear item. Air filters I clean every ride on my race bike and every other ride on my TTR. Chain lube..... I just use PBBlaster. It cleans and lubricates. I haven't found anything that I actually like other than that. I like the chain wax but it's a hassle to put on. Chain needs to be warm so it melts into the link etc etc. Just easier to use the PB blaster before, during the ride and right after the wash.
The only thing I can't find at my walmart is air filter oil. That's a motorcycle only thing.
Good luck. :thumb:
PBblaster like the penetrating oil? I think I have some of that.These guys are all ready to go, except the chain on the ttr125 is pretty dang dusty, so I can just ride it for a few minutes, lift the rear tire and spray the chain with PB?

after I wash my bikes I start them to help dry off the water, I ride them a few hundred feet to spin water off and use the brakes aggressively to compress suspension and dry brakes. I then stop and pull bike over on kickstand which lifts rear off the ground and put in gear. This spins the rear while I spray chain with WD40 to get rid of water. I do the same once at the ride spot to lube the chain.