Leatt brace for beginner?

As some of you may know, I'm about to buy gear for my newbie 8yo son. We're an ATGATT household but I was wondering how necessary you think a Leatt brace is for beginners. I mean, I know it couldn't hurt him to wear one but they're not exactly cheap...and I don't foresee any major air in his future anytime soon. :smirk:

Any input is appreciated!

I don't know much about them, but neither me or my kids have ever worn them,and none of us have ever had a neck injury, I guess it depends how aggressive you think he'll be. but that's my 2 cents

None of my family wears them either. Nobody has been hurt in the neck from riding motorcycles, but BMX is a different story. Not sure what it is but that is more dangerous thanfree riding Moto, not a trackie!

Leatt is just like any other piece of protective gear. How much protection do you want. I hear everyone saying I have never worn one and have not received a neck injury so why bother. True until it happens. Just like helmets..how much is your head worth? Myself and my Son never wore them for years (one being they weren't around), but a handful of years ago, after some surgery my son had, he now wears one for that added protection. He questioned why I was not wearing one as well. I did not have a solid answer for him. But about a year in half ago, I took a gnarly digger and shattered my helmet (great lid by the way) and it spooked me and my wife. So I now wear one as I would like to play hard still (even at my age of 104) and have that extra comfort. I still get a little crazy on the bike.

So....Do you put your son in one now at 8 knowing he is not going to be getting too out of control, but will later in his riding career and it gets him use to it, or do you not and hope nothing happens while out riding?

Again - how much protection do you want and how much is it worth to enjoy riding and life....Just Saying..:ride:

Without weighing in on neck gear, make sure if you get them that they go with the helmets and chest protection. Bad fitting neck gear along with an incompatible chest protector can limit a rider's ability to see anything other than what is right in front of him. The less experienced usually have trouble knowing what is going on around them.

The gear you do decide on should be worn frequently (around the house is fine) so they don't even think about it being on, if you ask me.

Hell I broke a rib with one of those chest protectors, so I don't wear one of those anymore, so going by that logic,wearing neck protecter would probably leave me with a broken neck.

Thanks for all the replies. I think it's one of those pieces of gear that I'll eventually get for him but probably not right away. I just don't think the cost would justify the benefit...at least until he moves past doing figure eights in an open field.

Thanks for all the replies. I think it's one of those pieces of gear that I'll eventually get for him but probably not right away. I just don't think the cost would justify the benefit...at least until he moves past doing figure eights in an open field.

I don't think he should ever progress past doing figure 8's. it's like a batting "T". The pros still use them. But I know what you mean.

Last edited: