85 KX85 cylinder still usable??

I would be on the safe side if that was a resale bike and get the jug redone. If it's for yourself/family than run it. worst could happen is you need a new top end sooner than later. There is a company that puts their name on it for other countries called Langcourt. I use them exclusively in Alabama and have not had bad success. Other opinions will very.

I plan on keeping this bike for myself and for my son once he gets a bit older but since i am in Canada parts seem to be a little more here. I would like to have it replated but in my area it is $300+ and i can buy a brand new cylinder for that much. I dont want to even think about sleeving it even though it would be cheaper.

Did you look up Langcourt.comm they are in Canada? Max I pay on 125 was 180 US with it shipped both ways.
http://www.langcourt.com/page35.html

I had looked into them earlier today, i sent an email but i will be giving them a call first thing tomorrow aswell. If thats how much it will cost that would be around $230 Canadian witch i would most definitely consider. Thats alot cheaper than a new cylinder, i also tried looking into cylinder exchange programs in canada but i couldent find any. I would have considered that aswell

Last edited:
Bridge looks like the plating is gone. I Wouldn't spend a dime on it without a replate. if you're new to 2 strokes
1 this is a cheap deal.
2 small bore pingers go though top ends
Always best when buying used to refresh top to bottom, that way you have a baseline for the runtime.
If you're trying to save money, pick a different sport! bikes eat parts, parts cost money .. still bang for the buck best kick you can get.

Bridge looks like the plating is gone. I Wouldn't spend a dime on it without a replate. if you're new to 2 strokes
1 this is a cheap deal.
2 small bore pingers go though top ends
Always best when buying used to refresh top to bottom, that way you have a baseline for the runtime.
If you're trying to save money, pick a different sport! bikes eat parts, parts cost money .. still bang for the buck best kick you can get.

I agree with you, i am not new to 2 strokes, just new to working on them more frequently now than what i was before. The majority of the bikes ive owned/worked on the cylinders were never a problem, i had a 98' kx80 with a perfect (original) cylinder that just needed bottom end work. This is the first of many im sure that i will run into that will need a replate, i just found a shop near me that will do it for $200 canadian so that is what i am going to do. I just spent about $500 for the complete bottom end and piston kit so i would feel alot better knowing the jug is mint aswell.

For me, the 125 and down all got 15-20 hours on a piston. I'd put 3 in a cyl, then I'd replate. I didn't like putting +50 hours on the jug even though it would probably take it. Problem with them is, the power plant is so simple and efficient it will run to within an inch of its life sometimes with no signs of failure. They way I looked at it, wasn't money spent it was money saved. Sounds like it's going to be nice an tight when you're done. :thumb:

I would be on the safe side if that was a resale bike and get the jug redone. If it's for yourself/family than run it. worst could happen is you need a new top end sooner than later. There is a company that puts their name on it for other countries called Langcourt. I use them exclusively in Alabama and have not had bad success. Other opinions will very.

Ok. Who do you use when you aren't in Alabama?

Ok. Who do you use when you aren't in Alabama?
Like I said, they are worldwide. Just because I don't live in bama, don't mean I don't use um.
Looked like Mongoose racing was the Langcourt option in Canada when I looked at the page.
I agree with you, i am not new to 2 strokes, just new to working on them more frequently now than what i was before. The majority of the bikes ive owned/worked on the cylinders were never a problem, i had a 98' kx80 with a perfect (original) cylinder that just needed bottom end work. This is the first of many im sure that i will run into that will need a replate, i just found a shop near me that will do it for $200 canadian so that is what i am going to do. I just spent about $500 for the complete bottom end and piston kit so i would feel alot better knowing the jug is mint aswell.
Don't forget to give them the piston for an exact measurement.

Like I said, they are worldwide. Just because I don't live in bama, don't mean I don't use um.
Looked like Mongoose racing was the Langcourt option in Canada when I looked at the page.

Don't forget to give them the piston for an exact measurement.

So i had gaven the guy a call after being quoted via email and was told the price i was quoted was just for the replate, the welding (if needed) was $80 an hour plus shipping there and back ect, witch ended up coming just as close to buying a new cylinder. I could drive to them and drop it off/pick it up but they are almost 2 hours away and plus gas to get there an back i figured i mide aswell just buy a brand new OEM cylinder. So that is what i did. I now have just under $1000 invested into this motor so while i have it apart i am going to give it a good cleaning and polish. All together i put $1500-$1600 into this bike so i mide aswell make it look like it! Lol