kx80 help

So i bought an older 93 kx80, bored out to 90 and the second day the shifter lever bolt came loose making the shifter not able to switch gears. I tightened the bolt and put a tac weld on the shifter to the shaft, when i went to put it down into first the actual shaft snapped. I dont know whether to take it all apart and put a new shaft in or to weld onto the snap and see if it can be put back together without splitting the case. Any help is more than appreciated! Thanks boys

You don't have to split the cases to replace the shift shaft. You do have to remove the clutch side engine cover, after draining the oil and water. Then pull the clutch hub and the shift shaft will side out that side of the engine. Then reverse the order and install the new one.
Your service manual will cover this in great detail.

Paw Paw

SRAD97750

Staff member
... I tightened the bolt and put a tac weld on the shifter to the shaft, when i went to put it down into first the actual shaft snapped.,,
I suggest cutting the shaft off as close to the case as possible. If there is ANY bend to the shift shaft, you will mangle EVERYTHING inside when removing it. I cracked a case fixing this same issue. -BIG DAN:thumb: