250F KX250F Problems

It has been pretty cold in NY these past few months, so I haven't had a chance to ride. The other day I went and tried to start my bike. I noticed two things:

1. The kick starter seems pretty easy to kick over. Possibly a little too easy.
2. Gas is steadily dripping out of the drain tube below the dirtbike. I'm thinking something is clogged in my carburetor, but I don't know anything about them.

Anyone have any ideas?

If you want to be sure your compression is weak, go get a compression test done, or buy the tools to do it yourself. I just got my dad's kx250f back from the shop, it only had 60 lbs of compression and usually these bikes need like 140 lbs of compression to run right, according to the mechanic. But I ended up having to replace both intake valves, and got a new piston and ring.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Don't mess with the valves if they are in spec.
Clean the Carburetor. You have a stuck or worn float needle/seat.
Compression cannot be read from the kick starter. If you're worried about it, get a leakdown tester. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Yea i really don't want to start messing with the valves. I mean my bike still runs strong so i dont know if i should be too worried about the kick
I'd address the float problem and then go from there :thumb: Usually taking the carb apart cleaning everything and putting it back together solves the problem and it's free (aside from the cost of a can of carb cleaner) :thumb: try it when you get a minute and report back and we shall go from there

James

Staff member
You didn't by any chance drain your carb and store it like that for a few months did you? If so the carb most likely gunked up and will need a good cleaning or even a couple parts replaced.

You didn't by any chance drain your carb and store it like that for a few months did you? If so the carb most likely gunked up and will need a good cleaning or even a couple parts replaced.
how would draining the carb be bad for the bike?