KX250 Acting up

i was riding my 2001 kx250 today after it just got done raining and it was running great and i went to go turn around and it went through the gears fine but when i went to go shift into 4th or 5th gear my bike bogged down and died out and when i went to go start it back up the sound of when i kicked it sounded different but it didnt start. So i pushed it up to my house and washed all the mud and crap off of it when i was done doing that i pushed it back into the garage and tried starting it again, it fired right up on the first kick but it only stayed running for like 10 seconds and it sounded like complete crap, you couldnt even tell it was a 2-stroke that how bad it sounded. help me

OK, you are new here. If you want help you are going to get more response if you know a few things and tell us first. In my case (and many others here) don't even start asking tuning advice without doing some work and telling us in detail what your sparkplug looks like.

Want me to guess? Maybe your gas is off or you ran out. If that wasn't helpful, try the above and get back to me.

OK, you are new here. If you want help you are going to get more response if you know a few things and tell us first. In my case (and many others here) don't even start asking tuning advice without doing some work and telling us in detail what your sparkplug looks like.

Want me to guess? Maybe your gas is off or you ran out. If that wasn't helpful, try the above and get back to me.

i checked the spark plug and its dry and black. The bike starts on one kick, and the compression is good. Wondering if a bad reed valve could cause the change in sound and loss of power.

the plug and your ease of starting say rich to me. the top end miss is a symptom. another poster on here who recently purchased a used rig had that and he found that his main jet had fallen out. anyway you slice it, i think taking yours apart and setting the float and cleaning it is a good idea. should be a keihin carburetor that should set at 16mm. ask if you dont know how to do it.

before you run it check to see that the main jet is within two sizes of stock. what happens is people dont know about setting floats and jet the bikes down as they run richer over time. if you actually fix the original problem by resetting the float you can then be too lean. that ruins pistons and cylinders if you are not familiar.

the plug and your ease of starting say rich to me. the top end miss is a symptom. another poster on here who recently purchased a used rig had that and he found that his main jet had fallen out. anyway you slice it, i think taking yours apart and setting the float and cleaning it is a good idea. should be a keihin carburetor that should set at 16mm. ask if you dont know how to do it.

before you run it check to see that the main jet is within two sizes of stock. what happens is people dont know about setting floats and jet the bikes down as they run richer over time. if you actually fix the original problem by resetting the float you can then be too lean. that ruins pistons and cylinders if you are not familiar.

so what your saying is that the carb could cause my bike to sound really different and loss of power?

What I am trying to get across is that running rich can do that, and a bad float level or a leaky one can make it run rich. plugged up air supply and or plugged up exhaust can do it too. too much oil on the filter all that.