KTM 530 EXC Water Pump Seal/Shaft Mounting Sleeve

Hey guys. I have a question regarding re-installing the water pump shaft.
I got a new clutch cover, and had to re-install my water pump shaft and seals into it.
Anyway, in the manual it says to use a mounting sleeve on the shaft, to prevent damage to the seals(due to a sharp section on the shaft).
No one has these mounting sleeves in stock, I don't want to back order one and have to wait 8-10 weeks for it to arrive from Austria.
is there anything else I can use as a mounting sleeve to protect the seals from potential damage? And what part of the water pump shaft do I actually cover up?

Attachments

• Water Pump Manual.jpg
    Water Pump Manual.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 11
I am not familiar with your engine. shafts that have machined cuts or untapered ends are commonly coverd with such things as cellophane or my personal favorite, teflon tape and dielectric grease or petroleum jelly. the tape works well for me on everything up to over the road diesels. the dielectric or petroleum jelly are pretty low drag when warm, and stick in place just a little better than motor oil, but that would work too. Floyd like silicone sprays.

FYI I answered you as your last post "ok" came up.

Ok thanks. I appreciate you getting back to me.
As seen in the attachment, that is the only part of the shaft that has a dip in it or a tapered end.
Do I put the tape on just to cover the tapered edge? Or an inch or so passed the tapered bit onto the shaft? Because whenever I put the tape on any of the straight bit on the shaft, some of the tape always ends up ripping off as the shaft is being pulled through and the ripped bits of tape end up on the opposite end of the shaft(on the inside of the cover that I can't get to unless I pull the shaft back out).

Attachments

• DSC05405.jpg
    DSC05405.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC05362.jpg
    DSC05362.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 10