KTM 500 EXC Nooby

Just bought a 2013 KTM 500 EXC! First real dirt bike since 1980. Excited to start modifying for the ultimate dual sport bike. Already installed a shark fin, Cycra hand guards, Speed Bleed Valves, seat concepts (low), and bought a GPR V4 steering Damper ( yet to be installed). I live in Ca. So I will probably keep this bike street legal for now. If anybody out there has this bike and can recommend other upgrade mods I would appreciate any and all input. I am a little on the beefy side at 210 lbs and stand 5' 11". Considering foot pegs, led lighting front and rear to eliminate the exposed turn signals, 14/48 gearing, pipe guard and a different muffler. Maybe a de-smog and remap...brands, part numbers and real reviews are important to me. Thanks for any and all help...

Don't have that bike, but some general observations.

One reason for starting with a bike like yours is that it doesn't need a whole lot of changes to ride. Hand guards for sure, but you already have those.

Remap? Is the bike short on power? Somehow I doubt that. However, if you de-smog and re-pipe you will need the new map loaded in the ECU. Not every dealer will do it due to legal issues, but if yours will not do it keep looking around for one that will.

How street legal are you talking. Those non protruding LED signals are not really legal. In order to meet the regs they have to stick out and have to be of a minimum size.

14/48 gearing is as important as the hand guards. Do that today if you like the tough trails. If you gravitate to the rocks upgrade the skid plate too.

I say ride the thing and do mods as you find that they are needed.

Last edited:
Thanks Cleonard, I will hold off on the turn signals because we will be riding to and from our riding areas on the road and don't need and CHP hassles. Will be re-gearing to 14/48 soon. Our local dealer will re-map and help me de-smog but I thought I would ride it for a while and see if it's necessary for my type of riding.

I bought this bike used 438 miles, 18.5 hours. Gave $9,000 included extended warranty and new tires. Pretty happy with the deal

Sounds familiar only I'm the seller....

I agree with Cleonard, ride it and make the mods as you see needed. :prof:

I had mine fitted with multiple mods when I bopught it new so it was done from the start...

Welcome to DBA.... :thumb:

BTW... only a few Orange Cool-Aid riders on here... :devil:

Hey, welcome to the forum. Mine was re jetted, de smogged and suspension done for me. Added a skid plate and pipe guard and steering dampener along with a few other goodies. Bike certainly does not lack power. Be warned about removing all the smog stuff on the new bikes as I have heard they now will inspect them at various places. Mine is old so I don't think I have to worry, haven't yet.

stock KTM pegs are fine. One of the issues with aftermarket is that the peg gets so tuff that a hard impct will bend the frame mount instead of the peg. I tried some SS ones and went back to stock.

stock KTM pegs are fine. One of the issues with aftermarket is that the peg gets so tuff that a hard impct will bend the frame mount instead of the peg. I tried some SS ones and went back to stock.
I agree, nothing wrong with mine either. Maybe the new bikes got crappy ones. :noidea: