4 Stroke Ktm 450 oil

hey all, my dad's 06 ktm 450 xc it's spitting oil from the coolant breather tube I think. It's not the radiator over flow tube, but a rather large hose coming out of the bottom end. Is this a problem or is it normal? We are a 2t family and this is the first 4t we have ever owned. It would be where the water pump is on my kx250 (the hose in question)

If it's a breather tube it's for the crank case and there is either a blow by issue caused by worn rings, a oil foaming issue caused by wrong viscosity or level of the engine oil, or improper ventilation causing excessive crank case pressure. These would be the most likely causes for your concern. Tell Sparky Sr. to get a smoker and ditch the 4 skin.

If it's a breather tube it's for the crank case and there is either a blow by issue caused by worn rings, a oil foaming issue caused by wrong viscosity or level of the engine oil, or improper ventilation causing excessive crank case pressure. These would be the most likely causes for your concern. Tell Sparky Sr. to get a smoker and ditch the 4 skin.
Alright. That's good to hear! I think it may be a little low on oil. We will check the other options out as well. I think it's time to bring back his 87 kx250!

Hi is the oil foamy looking?

I've delt in the past with coolant/watter in crankcase will case a foam over issue.

I would do a pressure chek on your cooling sys to se if it holds pressure?

Or it's just a blow by issue

Hi is the oil foamy looking?

I've delt in the past with coolant/watter in crankcase will case a foam over issue.

I would do a pressure chek on your cooling sys to se if it holds pressure?

Or it's just a blow by issue
It's not foamy, he climbed a hill and got back and we noticed it on his skid plate

Careful Flake, someone could take you seriously!!!

(It may not work as well on a KTM as it did your Kaw)

Last edited:
Not being familiar with the venting system on that one, I would start by making sure they are all free and functional. A bleed down test on the cylinder is going to tell lots as well.

Careful Flake, someone could take you seriously!!!

(It may not work as well on a KTM as it did your Kaw)
the fact that there are companies totally devoted to repairs in a bottle is a good indication as to the mechanical knowledge of most folks.

"If it is in writing, it has to be the truth, or it is 'false advertising.'" Hell, I had someone I know tell me that as he was pouring a cocktail of oil additives (all from the same bottler) into a really nice rickman triumph. it was really a shame to see him push it off the ice and take it home, all locked up.

add in additives are one thing, the additives that the people at SOPUS, Exxon, BP add to oil we buy off the shelf are totally different things. But then again most people only think of oil as a lubricant when it reality it has several other functions.
I have always hated Lucas Oil due to my father, he has been around heavy trucks for a long time, according to him lucas got its start (or at least the first time he saw it) selling stuff guaranteed to fix the problem at truck stops, that way by the time you realized you'd wasted your money you were 2 states away......

you will love the ones that went in to that poor triumph. SOFT metal filings. that fills the low spots left by wear and hard metal particles that gouged it. some of the bottles claimed to add power in percentages. this gentleman used a calculator to tell me that he would have 11 more hp as soon as he started it up.

add in additives are one thing, the additives that the people at SOPUS, Exxon, BP add to oil we buy off the shelf are totally different things. But then again most people only think of oil as a lubricant when it reality it has several other functions.
I have always hated Lucas Oil due to my father, he has been around heavy trucks for a long time, according to him lucas got its start (or at least the first time he saw it) selling stuff guaranteed to fix the problem at truck stops, that way by the time you realized you'd wasted your money you were 2 states away......

and if you said lubricating was the first function of the oil, you would have a lot of people say you missed too