KTM 250 MX 1991 problem

About a year ago i bought a Ktm mostly in part, took some time to put it back together but its finaly almost done. Now after I have used the bike for 10 minutes, im having issues with the ignition. The problem is that im not getting an even spark. I might get a spark after cranking it a couple of times if im Lucky. I've checked all of the wires for faults, put on a New killswitch, sanded down the groundingwires to the frame, changed to a New sparkplug.
Does anyone know what might be wrong with it?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Now after I have used the bike for 10 minutes, im having issues with the ignition.
By 'used the bike for 10 minutes,' I imagine you mean, you rode it for 10 minutes?
If it started before, I think it is going to be a simple fix.

New spark plug. Check spark plug wire connections. Maybe clip off 1/4" of each end and re-seat the cap and coil. (length providing)
Those are the only two items that will be intermittent in the ignition system. -BIG DAN:thumb:
My 1989 250 MXC
11112.jpg

It is funny how grounds and shorts kind of come and go. Euro's who were led into building ignition systems by Sir Joseph Lucas (England, whose dying words were "NEVER ride at night!!) seem to have the corner on systems that "come and go". I have a Montesa VR 414 with a Motoplat ignition. Sometimes you can't find consistent spark with it, but it runs. I think the vibration must help and the higher rpm keeps what amounts to the stator happier.

(And that is why I asked if the poster can get it to run.)

Still cant get the bike running, and little help from ktm dealers here in Norway since most dealers only been around from the mid 90's. So insted of letting the old ktm get the best of me i started tearing down an old husaberg 650...
Have tried different sparkplugs and they have the same issue. Allso bought a New sparkplug cap and wire. Will have to chech with A voltmeter to know where I'm getting a spark

7c4d32fdef66665b7f3a4c5bdd011966.jpg