klx450 '2010'

hi just wondering if anybody has any suggestions to why my klx450 would have oil in the coolant, and once riding for a few kms it heats up?
much appreciated thanks for your time.

Sain

hi just wondering if anybody has any suggestions to why my klx450 would have oil in the coolant, and once riding for a few kms it heats up?
much appreciated thanks for your time.

Sain

Welcome to DBA!!
Where are you from?

Oil in the coolant. I would say a bad head gasket to start with. Did you check the oil to see if there was any coolant in the oil?

Welcome to DBA!!
Where are you from?

Oil in the coolant. I would say a bad head gasket to start with. Did you check the oil to see if there was any coolant in the oil?

Thank you and bacchus marsh area. i did check the oil and there was no coolant, only oil in coolant.
thank you for the reply

Thank you and bacchus marsh area. i did check the oil and there was no coolant, only oil in coolant.
thank you for the reply

Bacchus Marsh. I have never heard of it. Australia? Easiest way right now to find out where it's coming from is a radiator pressure test. It might just be that it's a bad water pump seal and its drawing in oil rather than leaking coolant. It's normally the coolant that leaks into the oil tho.

I agree on the pressure test. If the bike is new to you that could be left over for any reason. In that case I would clean the cooling system well, with Calgon autimatic dishwasher detergent. NOTHING else works quite like it and is the reason that Detroit Diesel specifies it for flushing their systems which have a pretty intricate oil cooler. start all over with fresh fluids of your choice. if you know it I a recent development without a fill problem etc, the water pump seal and shaft would be my first stop.

I agree on the pressure test. If the bike is new to you that could be left over for any reason. In that case I would clean the cooling system well, with Calgon autimatic dishwasher detergent. NOTHING else works quite like it and is the reason that Detroit Diesel specifies it for flushing their systems which have a pretty intricate oil cooler. start all over with fresh fluids of your choice. if you know it I a recent development without a fill problem etc, the water pump seal and shaft would be my first stop.

Calgon.......take me away

when the bike is cool, take the radiator cap off and start it, if you've got bubbles its almost certainly a headgasket.
Fortunately a dirt bike head is quite a bit easier to remove than one (of the 3) on a big cam cummins.
I love my job sometimes.

I have one on a BC4 to do now. Front one is definitely in need, hoping that is all. I have been putting it off, but with temps above 30 I should be on it.