125 KLX 125 stopped working

38C19822-E127-4F73-B540-F237A443CA4B.jpeg 8F22812B-B763-408A-A981-47EE3D977A04.jpeg my early 2000’s KLX 125 was making some significant pinging/rattling. While riding suddenly just powered down. When trying to start, could tell something significant was wrong. Pulled plug to find this. Also when kick starting, no pressure at all. Going to start tearing down the engine but wondering if anyone can give me some ideas of what to be thinking about in terms of what might be wrong. Pretty novice at this, but looking forward to getting into it.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Detonation due to an air leak most likely the cause of complete top end failure. Check the intake boot for cracks or missing screws in the carburetor can cause a major air leak, as well.
It's going to look like rats have been chewing on the piston and cylinder head. New piston kit should suffice if you caught it early enough.
Photos are a must to satisfy me.... I need your carnage.... -BIG DAN:thumb:

Detonation due to an air leak most likely the cause of complete top end failure. Check the intake boot for cracks or missing screws in the carburetor can cause a major air leak, as well.
It's going to look like rats have been chewing on the piston and cylinder head. New piston kit should suffice if you caught it early enough.
Photos are a must to satisfy me.... I need your carnage.... -BIG DAN:thumb:

Thanks Big Dan. I will post pics when I take it apart. Might be a week or so.

Yup, that plug looks like it caught bits of material probably from the piston. pre detonation caused by incorrect ignition timing or more likely a lean air fuel mixture are the common causes of this. Definitely check the things Dan mentioned, and I second the motion that a mess of pics are offered.