Just Accident/Injury insurance

Is there such a thing? ongoing like health insurance(not just for an event, which I've seen). We've thrown away so much money on health insurance, we are never sick, in great health, and have only used it for a broken arm (when I "fell out of the trailer"), and for my son's broken collarbone(when he crashed on his "mountain bike") and way back for hub's crash during a gp race(which was bad, and he went to the hospital in his gear so no fudging there...). For the past 15 YEARS, before that it was for childbirth.

We are self employed so getting reasonable insurance is really difficult, most recently it's stuff with a super high deductible and $1000 of injury coverage, which doesn't go far these days if something is broken and you need a cast. For us to get what most people get through work would be over a grand a month.

Or maybe Obama would fix this?

James

Staff member
Is there such a thing? ongoing like health insurance(not just for an event, which I've seen). We've thrown away so much money on health insurance, we are never sick, in great health, and have only used it for a broken arm (when I "fell out of the trailer"), and for my son's broken collarbone(when he crashed on his "mountain bike") and way back for hub's crash during a gp race(which was bad, and he went to the hospital in his gear so no fudging there...). For the past 15 YEARS, before that it was for childbirth.

We are self employed so getting reasonable insurance is really difficult, most recently it's stuff with a super high deductible and $1000 of injury coverage, which doesn't go far these days if something is broken and you need a cast. For us to get what most people get through work would be over a grand a month.

Or maybe Obama would fix this?
You think it's bad now, you just wait until ObamaCare is fully in effect. :picard:

I've had Anthem BCBS (Individual) since I turned 18 and they've covered all my :cripple: no questions asked. When I first got it I was paying $90 a month, but 4+ years later and 6 figure medical bill payouts, it's now $150. Do to the unstable job market I had elected to go the individual route and not through work. I did check out the cost through work though and it was $250 a month with less benefits/higher deductible then my current individual. :shocked: Wasn't a hard decision. :bonk:

BTW my plan is the Individual Blue Traditional, which has no network, no co-pays, no PCP, and a $2,500 deductible (which is also the max out of pocket). I got it as a catastrophic medical insurance plan and so far its been fitting the bill perfectly. :thumb:

I'd advise you to shop around and for the greatest savings, get a high deductible plan, just make sure to set that amount aside for when the $hit hits the fan.

Attachments

• anthem.pdf
    321.6 KB · Views: 75
Hey, mabey this will help :noidea: My parents took out Aflac broken bones insurance last year when I started track, and added on some stuff when I started racing. I think someone else put up something like this too, I hope some of it helps

http://extremesportinsurance.com/

I don't know anything about the Aflac one except it doesn't replace health insurance and it's for the frequent flyer to the ER. It covers pretty much all busted bones in full if I'm not mistaken :noidea: Good luck!

The Aflac policy is more of a supplement thing. They have several different products. It pays fixed amounts of cash for the covered items. I wouldn't call it real health insurance. About the lowest cost "real" health insurance is a high deductible plan (HDHP) coupled with an Health Savings Account (HSA). The HSA is kind of like an IRA. You contribute pre tax dollars and use it to cover the deductible on the health plan. If that's too much then you can look at the catastrophic coverage plans that have deductibles that are too high to qualify for an HSA.

One thing to consider is that for a catastrophic coverage plan to be useful, you must be able to cover the deductible. If you can't then it's not of that much utility.

You need to put your accountant hat on and run the numbers to figure out what you can afford. It's not simple at all and you need to shop around. A good insurance agent who deals with this stuff can really make it a lot easier to comprehend. Even if you find a decent agent, you still need to check out other options. There might be something else that is better than what the first can provide.

Good luck and I hope that you can find a workable solution.

Not having health insurance at all is really not a good idea. Sure a young single guy can hope for the best and file bankruptcy should an expensive incident occur. Not such a good plan when there is a family involved.

Replying to your title...Just Accident/Injury insurance...Love your idea just can't envision this EVER happening. If you've not invested anything into the insurance company why would they pay for part of your heeling? :prof:

Thanks for all the input :thumb:

yeah I sure ain't holding my breath on Obama--I didn't vote for him, I wrote in Ted Nugent, so, ya know!

I really wish upon a star there was some way for people to get rewarded for good health, ya know?