Just a little ride

There was a plan for a long ride this weekend. It didn't happen. At least for them.

The start was tough. I rolled my bike out of the garage. However, I over slept and didn't get underway until 9. No big breakfast this time. A cup of coffee was the only fuel until lunch.

The ride was circumnavigation of Edwards.

Gas was an insane $4.79 to $4.99 for premium. The station I was going to hit in Green Valley was out of fuel. I made it to Lancaster with about a quart of gas in the tank. Since I started late the first fifty miles were Pavement.

The route was heading east along the south side of Edwards AFB with a stop in Kramer Junction. Since I went past an empty gas station I stopped at every opportunity. It was already noon so I thought "munchies at Astro Burger." It wasn't open. Not abandoned, just not open. My coffee was getting lonely so I made for Randsburg with all possible speed. I saw some of those red signs from Fremont north. Some were on trails I've ridden for 20 years. What a joke.

The next stop was the Whitehorse for a burger and a beverage or two. From there it was a ride through the Rands and into CalCity. For once I rode that CC10 into town. On my way from Cal City I found some little sand dunes a few miles out of town. Made a few poor navigation choices on my way to Mojave, but I crossed the tracks at the chemical plant.

I was pretty tired so I just took the Power line corridor from Mojave to San Francisquito and then it was 18 miles of Pavement to home at 5:30pm.

Tthe ride was 244 miles taking 8 hours thirty minutes with 6 hours and 54 minutes on the bike. Oh man was I tired.

Route track from Spot (link only good for a week)
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0uVXRTgQQ5bUG8xt9NbilVfMSBRikn1tz
ride_100612.jpg

Not too much time for pics and my camera's battery was kaput so all I had was my cell phone. Sorry for teh smudge on the lens.

You can see the buildings at Edwards in the background
pic1.jpg

Heading in the direction of Fremont peak. Yes there are better more fun routes, but I wanted that burger in Randsburg. I averaged about 60 on this straight section.
pic2.jpg

A final pic before leaving the desert and heading home. I was taking the power line corridor.
pic3.jpg

I felt pretty good this morning when I woke up. Now with a few more hours and the soreness has set it. Starts in my calf's and extends into my back.

I need to ride more often so this doesn't happen.

Wow, what a journey. We were up there riding too yesterday, perfect day. We had ridden to the intersection of the 58 and 395 and I was considering going for a burger at Astro so it is a good thing I did not bother.

Good thing that I'm a desk jockey at work. My calf's are so fried I can hardly walk.

I think that I need a softer seat so I can actually sit more. That beta has a thinly padded 2x4 for a seat. Time to start searching.

James

Staff member
Damn that's some serious miles. :shocked:

So you rode out of the garage? :ride:

I think that I need a softer seat so I can actually sit more. That beta has a thinly padded 2x4 for a seat. Time to start searching.
Trade you, mine sits like a lazy boy. :bonk:

Carl, you still running the stock tank? Looks like it unless you got good adhesion of the aftermarket tank stickers for the Clark. They seem to get warm and then peal. I am still running the stock tank. Pulled the trigger on the natural color desert tank, just haven't put it on. Nice RR, I have the softer foam in my seat but it could still be softer for my fat ass.

Great pics :thumb:
I really need to move.... New Jersey has always sucked when it came to wide open desert riding.......:cry:

I think it's pretty much like that up and down the east coast..... Actually pretty much like that all the way to Tejas..... unless there's a hidden desert out there in the middle of Bum Fug Ohglahoma...... :smirk: