Other is this parking brake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clutch handle is broken and the folks I bought the bike with provided a new clutch lever. it has the secondary cable which looks like a parking brake lever but its broken. I can install so I have a working clutch but anyone have or know where to find the brake park of this? (if it is the brake). thanks

upload_2018-7-20_14-56-32.png

Thanks. I traced the cable but just sits on top the motor. Looks like it might go to the right side of the head so yeah, makes sense about the decompression. I thought I read that the decompression is enabled within the first inch of the kick start... maybe I looked up the wrong year.Thanks man.

Yeah, that's why I bought it for almost nothing.. these are usually 1 or 2 kick bikes...
After looking at the parts catalogs I think this lever is the choke...

The clutch handle is broken and the folks I bought the bike with provided a new clutch lever. it has the secondary cable which looks like a parking brake lever but its broken. I can install so I have a working clutch but anyone have or know where to find the brake park of this? (if it is the brake). thanks

View attachment 31837
Parking breaks on dirt bikes? eh?tumblr_msqvr2JKID1rf540bo1_400.gif Ya gots to read your service and owners manual? Learn about your machine, heck learn about motor-cycles in general...… old thread, but I figure on gettin' a laugh or 2?:thumb:

Parking breaks on dirt bikes? eh?View attachment 32019 Ya gots to read your service and owners manual? Learn about your machine, heck learn about motor-cycles in general...… old thread, but I figure on gettin' a laugh or 2?:thumb:
Yeah, because the 1987 dirt bike that I pulled basicslly out of the dumpster had all its paperwork... and a 30 year old bike made for 2 years only has manuals and service guides all over the place in the internet for free.. glad I could make you laugh. And yes since nobody answered with a correct response I did my research and it's actually the choke lever. Man. Really glad I came here for advice... figured it out myself thanks for the laugh

Bro, sorry, I thought it was explained! I gots to read the whole thread before I open my chops. I believe it to be a compression release lever. I had a buddy that had a shiny new xr-2fiddy in back in 88, we all had 2 strokes and we were scratching our head on what it was back then!

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Yeah, because the 1987 dirt bike that I pulled basicslly out of the dumpster had all its paperwork... and a 30 year old bike made for 2 years only has manuals and service guides all over the place in the internet for free.. glad I could make you laugh. And yes since nobody answered with a correct response I did my research and it's actually the choke lever. Man. Really glad I came here for advice... figured it out myself thanks for the laugh
You asked a question with zero information on the year, model, or anything useful.
You got the correct answer, Decompression lever.
It's so obvious, nobody else even bother answering.
If you think it's somehow a choke lever, Then I'm the one who got a laugh.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

It's definitely the choke lever per the parts diagram. I ordered it. Installed it and working properly. I only thought it could be a parking brake because my 1997 Honda trx300ex has a funny parking brake small lever. Made sense it could have been a decompression lever but the decompression cable gets enagaged as soon as the kick lever goes down about an inch...Thanks guys all good.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Yep, even mentioning the model once would have had you on the right track in 2 seconds.
For those who are interested. The XL models do have a choke lever where a manual decomp would normally go. -BIG DAN:noidea:

Status
Not open for further replies.