Is something wrong with my rekluse clutch or ami not using it right?

Hi guys, I bought an 04 KTM 300 exc yesterday and took it down to a woods race today. Probably not my best idea, but I really wanted to finally use a bike designed for woods in one of these races.

Took the bike for a test drive and just figured it would take some getting used to, but now I'm not so sure.

Things I have noticed:

1. I cannot hold in the clutch lever and freely move the bike. IT HAS TO BE IN NEUTRAL.

2. Even though I am using the rear brake and locking up the rear wheel the bike STILL wants to go forward. I have to use both brakes if I want any chance of stopping

3. I am still stalling the bike, once again when I'm going down a gnarly hill it's almost like I have no brakes and the clutch doesn't act as a clutch

4. I cannot kick start the bike unless it is in neutral

Does this sound normal guys? What am I doing wrong or do I need to adjust something?

I've ridden bikes with the Rekluse, but have not ever owned one. However I'm fairly certain there are adjustments that periodically need to be made as the clutch wears, it may as simple as this. It sounds like the clutch is grabbing and not entirely disengaging. Your best bet is to see if there is any info on this at the Rekluse site.....or maybe one of the guys here can give you specific procedure to remedy this.....welcome to DBA Noah.

Ive had one...yours is not working right...there are many adjustments and it has to be setup right on istall as well...you may have other issues like bad plates now too...call Rekluse and or take it apart and see whats up with the clutch plates and regular parts you can ID

also ID which Rekluse you have, there are several different models thru the years

Last edited:
if it has not worked right since you got it, I am guessing it was set up wrong to start with. identifying what you have is step one as was suggested.

Hi guys, I bought an 04 KTM 300 exc yesterday and took it down to a woods race today. Probably not my best idea, but I really wanted to finally use a bike designed for woods in one of these races.

Took the bike for a test drive and just figured it would take some getting used to, but now I'm not so sure.

Things I have noticed:

1. I cannot hold in the clutch lever and freely move the bike. IT HAS TO BE IN NEUTRAL.

2. Even though I am using the rear brake and locking up the rear wheel the bike STILL wants to go forward. I have to use both brakes if I want any chance of stopping

3. I am still stalling the bike, once again when I'm going down a gnarly hill it's almost like I have no brakes and the clutch doesn't act as a clutch

4. I cannot kick start the bike unless it is in neutral

Does this sound normal guys? What am I doing wrong or do I need to adjust something?
I just caught the part about rolling in neutral. The pro start we have won't do that anybetter than the manual clutch.