I need some cell phone help from you DBA techies

I have an old Airtouch Motorola Razr cell phone (bought around 10 years ago). Right now its locked. I can get it unlocked for $10. Question, after unlocking, can I use it with a prepaid plan (AT&T, Sprint etc.) if I get a sim card from the provider? Or is it just better to get a new phone? It's an old phone, but it still works, and I like the slimness of this model. I just need a cell phone, don't need the internet or anything, just something for phone calls.
Also, any opinions on the best plan? I was looking at Tracfone, but the reviews are horrible. AT&T is my landline provider, so that might be the easiest way to go and I see that I can buy a sim card from them for a couple of bucks. Not sure if it's GSM or whatever.
Help an old, non techie dude out, por favor.

I have an old Airtouch Motorola Razr cell phone (bought around 10 years ago). Right now its locked. I can get it unlocked for $10. Question, after unlocking, can I use it with a prepaid plan (AT&T, Sprint etc.) if I get a sim card from the provider? Or is it just better to get a new phone? It's an old phone, but it still works, and I like the slimness of this model. I just need a cell phone, don't need the internet or anything, just something for phone calls.
Also, any opinions on the best plan? I was looking at Tracfone, but the reviews are horrible. AT&T is my landline provider, so that might be the easiest way to go and I see that I can buy a sim card from them for a couple of bucks. Not sure if it's GSM or whatever.

QUE ??? :shocked:

You can get an At&t go phone for 20 bucks, I'd go that route. By the way "Go phone" is At&ts prepaid phones.

Knock it off, my fellow old fart, I need help from the younger hi tech generation.

You can get an At&t go phone for 20 bucks, I'd go that route. By the way "Go phone" is At&ts prepaid phones.
I saw that, but I don't like the phones they provide at the bottom end of the price scale, and don't want to spend $100 on a phone with options I don't need.

I saw that, but I don't like the phones they provide at the bottom end of the price scale, and don't want to spend $100 on a phone with options I don't need.

It's hard not to. Your best bet would be to take you and your phone into the store and see what they can do.

If your phone truly is 10 years old I doubt it's E911 compliant.

Wait, what?? E911??? WTF??
I have no idea what that is, that's why I rely on you guys for this type of info.
James, the phone you posted isn't as thin as the Razr, but will do. Says out of stock, hopefully that will change soon. I will call AT&T to see if they can give me some sort of secret deal, or knock a few bucks off.
Thanks for the help guys, still open for any other info anyone can provide.

I am old but I do know that it is time for a new phone after 10 years. :P[/quote

When looking for a new phone years ago I did the pocket test, if it don't feel good in the pocket then I would pass. That is why I still have the second gen razor and an IPhone for this place. I love that second gen razor and it still works perfect. That is why he wants a thin phone I bet. Rick, please confirm my observation and get that shitty little phone that James posted or find another razor.

James

Staff member
That way no one can hide from anyone anymore. I learned that on Person of Interest. :prof: Cool show by the way.
This is/was actually a good thing. Lets say you're in a car accident, completely dazed out of your mind, and yet you still manage to call 911. However you have no idea where you're at......thankfully they get a general idea as to what your location is. :thumb:

A few years ago I was at our 911 center and got to see this in action, very cool. :rocker:

Oh and yes PoI is an awesome show!