Suspension How To Set Your Race Sag

The first thing anyone should do when they get a new or new to them dirt bike is set your race sag. This will help the handling of the bike dramatically and you will be able to ride the bike a lot better. I will try my best to explain how to do this.

Things you will need:
1. Paper
2. Pen
3. Tape measure/yard stick
4. Complete riding gear
5. Stand
6. If possible a extra hand to help you but not always necessary
7. Hammer
8. Flat tip pin punch

The first thing to do is put your bike on the stand with wheels off the ground. Take measurement from the center of the rear axle bolt to a spot on the rear fender. Write this measurement down. I like to mark the spot on the fender so that I can use the same mark on my next measurements.

dirt_race_sag.JPG

Now take your second measurement. Take the bike off the stand and have the rider (in full riding gear) sit on the bike. Take your measurement from the same points on the bike. Some say take this measurement while sitting in the attack position and some say take it in the standing position. I look at it as what type of riding you do mostly. If you ride motocross take the measurement sitting, if you ride a lot of trails or single track and do a lot standing, then take it in the standing position. This is where the extra person comes in handy. While leaning against a wall with only your fingertips, take the measurement and write it down. Or you can use a strap or rope to tie to your handle bar and anchor the strap/rope to something to hold the bike up straight while you’re taking the measurement yourself if no help is available.

Now that you have both measurements, you should subtract measurement 2 from measurement 1 and that will give you your race sag. Your manual for your specific bike should tell you what your sag should be set at but as a general setting it should be between 3.75’’ to 4’’ (95-105mm). If you don’t get these readings between the two measurements, you will need to adjust your preload on the shock spring.

To adjust your preload you need to use the hammer and punch and knock the top spanner nut loose and then adjust the second spanner nut on the spring up or down. Just jump back on the bike and take measurement 2 again and you don’t need to lock down the top nut until you get the sag set correctly.

Once you have your race sag set, it's time to take your last measurement. This is called the static sag. With bike off the stand, no rider on the bike, and the bike only under its own weight. Take a measurement from the same points again. Now subtract measurement 3 from measurement 1. This should be around 25mm to 30mm or roughly 1’’.Your manual should tell you what your static sag should be. This is something you can’t adjust so if the allowance is out of range, you'll have to change the spring for your correct weight. Your local suspension shops should be able to tell you what spring rate you will need to get your static sag corrected.