Honda xr 250r talk?

Hey I'm new to this forum and have had some experience on other forums but decided to start fresh again. Anyways I'm Posting this to ask all you "old bike" guys a few questions. I'm 16 years old and I have had a 1997 Yamaha rt 100 2 stroke a 1971 k2 Honda sl100 (sold) those are the dirtbikes I have owned anyways and this Saturday im going to a huge auction and a certain bike caught my eye that I'm interested in but don't have much experience with bikes unless they are really old. Its a Honda xr 250r thats in pretty rough shape plastics wise. the side plastics are completely gone I think and the front and rear fender are spray painted and are not attached to bike,seat,paint ect. And the right side of the hadlebars are bent down and the muffler side plate it missing and the tank is dented pretty bad but seems all intact. That's all I could see what's bad about it. It turns over good and seems to have good compression and doesn't look like it has sat very long and has the potential to be a runner with very little work.I can't find a exact year but I have slimed it down to 1987-1994. I was thinking no more than 400 and that's really pushing it considering the condition but we will see how the action goes. The big question is that is it worth buying and if somthing is wrong with it how hard is it to troubleshoot problems and fix. Here's a pic of the beaut haha. Thanks-Chris image.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome!
That bike looks pretty rough. I would offer maybe a couple hundos with my fingers crossed the motor kicks. Pretty easy maintenance.
Maybe keep looking around for something more ready to ride. Also nothing wrong with taking on a project!
Let us know what you decide! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Yea it is but i could care about the looks of I can get it for a couple hundred and I ill make my decision when the auction happends tomorrow and maybe they will start it if it works but who knows. Hopefully there's no reserve on it and this is one of the first items they will auction and Its seperate from the other 4wheelers,snowmobiles,ect so don't think there will be much competition
:boxing:

If I knew it ran I would go 400, but I dont know what they go for where you are. I got one last year a bit older, ran but didnt shift for 175. your subject is around 1989 or newer as the rear disk would indicate, or let me say no older than a 1989, and probably newer yet. I just know the 88's had drums on the rear. the dent indicates that the tank at least was off a street legal rig as it is a steel tank. great bikes really.

Hey sorry it took me forever to reply I got really sick but anyways I went to the auction and It was worse than I thought and it sold for 150 and I would have went a little higher but another bike came in and it was a early 80s susuki Rs 175 and it was in good shape but it went for 425

Hey sorry it took me forever to reply I got really sick but anyways I went to the auction and It was worse than I thought and it sold for 150 and I would have went a little higher but another bike came in and it was a early 80s susuki Rs 175 and it was in good shape but it went for 425

So did you leave with it?...or are you saying you bailed on both bikes?