Hey Buck, Jackson, Bryce and other Outdoorsie types

WE ARE the "greenest" people on earth! We are not detached city people with no concept of what really happens in a lush woods! (Or desert dwellers that have little or no game to hunt, hence the lack of understanding)

I have a really nice piece of land that is a spike into over 4000 acres of state game land. I got lucky when I bought it. So I have the opportunity to change what I own and experiment with the differences! It's cool as hell! So far, it's been fantastic! I'm not just attracting game to my property, they are proliferating and staying here! It's their home turf! For Ohio peeps, when's the last time you have seen Ruffed Grouse? Me? Every day! I won't shoot them as they are still too rare, but it is cool as F to see them! I do make every effort to kill their predators, and that makes a difference!

Plant your turnips if you have a big enough parcel and deep enough good soil to accommodate. I plant oats, buckwheat, sweat clover, and other commercially available perennial food sources. It really depends on your soil. Take a sample and have it analyzed. It's cheap. FERTILIZE! I lime the crap out my soil because it's acidic. Take the time to rake it in by hand! Grab some beers and make a day of it! :thumb:

:thumb: Amen.

Hell yeah! You got one heck of a deal with that. When I move out, I'd love to have a lot of land. We only own around 4 acres, so we need to attract our game as much as possible. We got a bunch of wabbit and a few coons living on the land. Deer pass by every week, but I'm never home when they do. :foul:

Alright, thanks! :thumb: Sounds good to me. I grew turnips last year and they were the easiest thing I've ever grown. My pH runs around 6.0 to 6.5 in my garden area, but the food plot would be around 100 yards away from that. I'll go out there and test it at the spot when I get the chance. Is there anything wrong with using a 10 dollar tester versus having the county test it?

I'd also like to grow something else in there. Maybe clover?

:thumb: Amen.

Hell yeah! You got one heck of a deal with that. When I move out, I'd love to have a lot of land. We only own around 4 acres, so we need to attract our game as much as possible. We got a bunch of wabbit and a few coons living on the land. Deer pass by every week, but I'm never home when they do. :foul:

Alright, thanks! :thumb: Sounds good to me. I grew turnips last year and they were the easiest thing I've ever grown. My pH runs around 6.0 to 6.5 in my garden area, but the food plot would be around 100 yards away from that. I'll go out there and test it at the spot when I get the chance. Is there anything wrong with using a 10 dollar tester versus having the county test it?

I'd also like to grow something else in there. Maybe clover?

I'd go for a PH around 7.0. Clover grows best in 6.2 to 7.8! For real! Check it out! I lime my stuff out to try to get to this!

:thinking: more like 20 minutes of how to change a bmp to a jpeg in paint after you sent them from your home Mac. and save them to you work pc and then upload them. :lol:

OK, so maybe it wasn't months of research but, it was a good 10 - 15 minutes reading and digesting a pm from you Jax.:lol:

Dang Buck, that's darn impressive - those Morels look too good :thumb:

OK, so maybe it wasn't months of research but, it was a good 10 - 15 minutes reading and digesting a pm from you Jax.:lol:

Dang Buck, that's darn impressive - those Morels look too good :thumb:

GTFO! NAT! This is the science! It is! It works! :thumb: I plant...it works.

I must say, every morel I plucked I shook on the ground, or took a small piece and planted it....

more will be there in hours.....

I must say, every morel I plucked I shook on the ground, or took a small piece and planted it....

Yeah, they say to carry them off in a netted sack so while you are walking out they drop the seeds and you will have more all around.

:lol: Cheating? No way! Ask any eastern woods hunter if this is "cheating" !!! :lol: It's improving your chances! And it's just a chance! People like me are responsible for the reintroduction and proliferation of species like the wild turkey that was, just 20 or so years ago, seldom seen! In the 60's deer were scarce in many areas of the eastern woods. Good management techniques and efforts by hunters like myself made them almost as prolific as they once were! I mowed down some junk and planted a haven for multiple species of game! I take only what I need, but, in turn provide habitat and food sources that insure the propagation of many more than I harvest! :thumb: Contrary to what you might think, hunters are responsible for the comeback of all game species through private efforts like mine, and increased revenues to state fish and wildlife funds. :thumb:

IT WAS A JOKE.....hence the little devil emote...(as seen here:devil:). Here, take this...:thumb:...and this :banana:...and THIS :P

Yo buck! Check these bad boys. Me and the boy coming out of the woods from turkey hunting walked right up on these. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 449View attachment 448View attachment 447View attachment 446View attachment 445
Just thought I'd share a couple of shots I got with the game camera. This is what I typically do with the big Northerns I catch.

pencil.png
I had some battered and deep fried a couple weeks ago( Northerns, not eagle)