Hello! I'm new here and I'd like to learn about dirtbikes

My name is Benji. Just wanted to say hi because I'll prolly be posting here for the forseeable future. I'm not entirely sure what made me interested me in getting a dirtbike but I'd really like to purchase one sometime this year.

I'd also like to know how to get informed on dirtbikes. What should I look into before I purchase my first one? What is standard for me to know?

Thanks.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome!!! The best way to get into dirtbikes, is to ride them!!!
Get onto one and see what you like about it!

Height, weight, where would you be riding? -BIG DAN:thumb:

Welcome!!! The best way to get into dirtbikes, is to ride them!!!
Get onto one and see what you like about it!

Height, weight, where would you be riding? -BIG DAN:thumb:

I'm 6'3 and 160. I want a ride that can do well on off-road and on the road. Is there a way for me to test-drive a dirtbike at a course with no experience? Or should I take lessons first?

Last edited:
Welcome :wave: I would look in your local area for off-road schools. They have a few and will teach you basics. The other option is to meet people that ride and see if they will take you out. Demos are hard to come by. If you are looking at a DS (Dual Sport bike), then some dealers will prep and let you ride it, but after you have worked out a deal on it and laid down some cash. Some dealers may have a demo you can ride, but you would need a MC license to ride it.

Good luck and ask more questions.

I'm 6'3 and 160. I want a ride that can do well on off-road and on the road. Is there a way for me to test-drive a dirtbike at a course with no experience? Or should I take lessons first?

Welcome to DBA Benjamin. go to the tracks and areas where other riders are, start up some conversations and see if you can make any friends who ride there......I spose' it's kinda like picking up chicks. But that will maybe let you get a couple hot laps on a bike. as to why you are interested in dirt bikes, well it's because you're normal, most of the world is either not normal, uninformed, ignorant or just plain greeny environmental anti dirt bike haters......go get some magazines (Dirt Bike Magazine, Dirt Rider, Motocross Action, and others) they will give you current info on the new bikes coming out. once you choose a bike there are many old threads here that will hep you with bike maintenance, repairs, riding tips, and of course feel free to ask any question you have, as there are many members here with a good knowledge base here.

Welcome Benji!!

We have a lovely young woman here by the name of @NoStop who just recently learned to ride herself. She ended up with a crf230 that she loves and you will too. I'm hoping she will jump in and give you some pointers. Enjoy :ride:

on and off road with the same bike leads you to a dual sport motorcycle. Many good ones out there, but few that are true dirt bikes as well,KTM for instance, and they are expensive. A regular DS(dual sport) is much cheaper used than one of the KTM style bikes. A Suzuki DR650 or DRZ400 are good mid performance DS bikes that can also do mid level off road work.

Welcome to the place of punishment. Before you go DS on a bike, learn how to ride both street and dirt at a riding class in your area. To learn about bikes (what fits you) punch in bikes that interest you I the www: like this... 2006 CRF230 specifications, it will come up with a few hits that you can see displacement cc's, seat hieght, etc. you will be better off on a four stroke if you have zero 2 wheel experience.

Dtr125 is quite a tall bike and not too powerful as a learner but capable enough to hul you along the road and small traisl at first, they're well reliable, relatively cheap to run and repair should you drop it and being one of the big 4 there's loads of info and spares out there!
And almost everyone has had one at one point so good starting point in my eyes!
P.s. it's a 2T btw! :-))))))

Step 1: Buy a dirt/dual sport bike
Step 2: Take the scenic route! :)

It's that easy! Guaranteed lower blood pressure than sitting in traffic on the interstate, haha

This was my actual commute home today..... it was pretty freakin' awesome, not gonna lie

Leave work..... I guess everybody got scared of the 35 degrees, I was the only bike there

1215150116_HDR_zpsldqwjrtk.jpg

Hit some back roads

1216150757_HDR_zpsih2m77nc.jpg

1216150757a_HDR_zpsbjrhu2rk.jpg

Then some trails

1216150825_HDR_zps3lhqvcuj.jpg

1216150825a_HDR_zpskjgkbfnj.jpg

Then make a stop for an awesome view..... sit and relax for a few mins enjoying the sunshine, the view, and the sound of nature waking up

1216150835_HDR_zpsgrcukwav.jpg

Then a few more trails

1216150857_HDR_zpsbybb3r0d.jpg

Then a few more back roads, and we're back home by 9:30

1216151014a_HDR_zpsluxoxtoe.jpg

Not too bad of a commute I'd say...... sure beats the hell out of 2.5 hours of sitting in traffic!
:ride:

Suzuki dr400's are one of the best bikes for both on and offroad if you want to do about 50/50 on and offroad. the 250-650 xrl hondas are a little better off road, but not nearly so nice on the road.